Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Snowbird
    • By Snowbird 11th May 18, 12:28 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 49Thanks
    Snowbird
    Ip address
    • 11th May 18, 12:28 PM
    Ip address 11th May 18 at 12:28 PM
    A friend has a website. I am not sure whether to has a forum or just place where people comment
    Is it possible to find the ip address of those using the forum/comments?
    Is their ip address there own internet provider, or,if they went into,say, waterstones would the IP address change?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th May 18, 12:33 PM
    • 33,030 Posts
    • 38,599 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th May 18, 12:33 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:33 PM
    IP address is ISP dependent , it can change for most people if their hub is rebooted.

It's a different ip address if you are on WiFi in Waterstones or somewhere else

Admin panel for websites or forum would show the IP address for a user but you could not identify the person any further than that without a court order to their ISP
    Last edited by Browntoa; 11-05-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Snowbird
    • By Snowbird 11th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Snowbird
    • 11th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:56 PM
    you could not identify the person any further than that without a court order to their ISP
    Originally posted by Browntoa

and i am assuming that unless there were specific and serious personal threats the police would not be interested?

Presumably, unless you also get waterstones to hand over their cctv of who was using their wi fi at the time, you have no chance?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 11th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 2,722 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 11th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 11th May 18, 2:09 PM
    and i am assuming that unless there were specific and serious personal threats the police would not be interested?
    Originally posted by Snowbird

Or fraud - that would do it ..

Presumably, unless you also get waterstones to hand over their cctv of who was using their wi fi at the time, you have no chance?
    Originally posted by Snowbird

Correct - and then that cctv would have to be linked in some way to the client , ie via mac address - and then the corresponding device would have to be found in the suspects posession.

All that is just not going to happen unless a murder case or similar is being investigated
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 12th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 12th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 12th May 18, 11:57 AM
    >Is it possible to find the ip address of those using the forum/comments?<
    Possibly, if the software recorded that for postings

>if they went into,say, waterstones would the IP address change?<
    Yes, or used a VPN or got reallocated by their ISP
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 12th May 18, 12:17 PM
    • 8,887 Posts
    • 4,441 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 12th May 18, 12:17 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:17 PM
    Most forum software saves the public IP of the authors of any post as does WordPress. I suspect any software storing comments would record the posters IP.

For reasons already mentioned those IP addresses are unlikely to be of any use at all to your friend.
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 12th May 18, 5:18 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    emptybox
    • 12th May 18, 5:18 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:18 PM
    Most forum software saves the public IP of the authors of any post as does WordPress. I suspect any software storing comments would record the posters IP.

For reasons already mentioned those IP addresses are unlikely to be of any use at all to your friend.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    But useful for banning those responsible from making future posts/comments.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 2,052 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:26 PM
    But useful for banning those responsible from making future posts/comments.
    Originally posted by emptybox
    Its about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Say I'm banned on MSE using my current IP address. As its not static all I have to do is reset the router, my ISP will assign me a new IP address and I'm good to go again. The only way to ban me is to ban everyone using my ISP so you'd need to ban a couple of million people. And even then that only works if I'm connected to the internet via my ISP. Use my mobile phone tethering, a relative/friends/McDonalds wifi and I'm good to go again.

Banning people is a complete and utter waste of time as your only options are username, IP address and email address and all can be changed in a few seconds. "You have been banned" is just a way of the forum admins saying "We don't know how the internet works."
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th May 18, 5:57 PM
    • 26,936 Posts
    • 10,844 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th May 18, 5:57 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:57 PM
    As above, i had fun when i registered on a spammers website and took the P out of them.

I registered and mocked them, they blocked me, so i signed up again and told them where they went wrong so they blocked me again and this went on for weeks until i got bored. Each time i registered i told then where they went wrong and mocked them even more.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 12th May 18, 6:09 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    emptybox
    Its about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Say I'm banned on MSE using my current IP address. As its not static all I have to do is reset the router, my ISP will assign me a new IP address and I'm good to go again. The only way to ban me is to ban everyone using my ISP so you'd need to ban a couple of million people. And even then that only works if I'm connected to the internet via my ISP. Use my mobile phone tethering, a relative/friends/McDonalds wifi and I'm good to go again.

Banning people is a complete and utter waste of time as your only options are username, IP address and email address and all can be changed in a few seconds. "You have been banned" is just a way of the forum admins saying "We don't know how the internet works."
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    That's not quite true.

Yes, if someone was prepared to post from various internet cafes around the country it would be very difficult to keep track of them.
    But most spammers are lazy and post from their home and one or two locations in their town.

If we are talking about dynamic IP addresses issued by ISP, then those usually change within a pattern that can be analysed by software. They're not just issued completely at random
    In fact some Forum admin panels allow you to do some analysis on IP addresses used, to try to identify previously banned users.

In fact it's possible to do it by eye, by just looking at the previous IP addresses of the banned user and comparing them to the IP addresses used by the new user.
    It's not perfect and takes a bit of time, but speaking as a former forum admin (not on here), I've certainly been able to identify a previously banned user from the pattern of their IP addresses.
    Last edited by emptybox; 12-05-2018 at 6:13 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th May 18, 1:34 AM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 2,052 Thanks
    Tarambor
    If we are talking about dynamic IP addresses issued by ISP, then those usually change within a pattern that can be analysed by software. They're not just issued completely at random
    You're right, they're usually issued from a pool of IP addresses assigned to a particular access node covering a geographical area. So in order to ban the person by IP you'd have to ban everyone in that locality using the same ISP.

I've certainly been able to identify a previously banned user from the pattern of their IP addresses.
    I doubt that very much. You might have convinced yourself you have but that is about all you would have done. In quarter of a century of being on the internet I've yet to see it work successfully.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 13-05-2018 at 1:39 AM.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th May 18, 6:02 AM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 1,388 Thanks
    Tom99
    If I wanted to spam I would just click the VPN button on my browser and choose an IP address from Australia, Canada or whatever to Ukraine or UK.

PS just editing this post from:

Request IP: 185.22.172.222, vstoike.com data-center (43317), Russia

and again from:

Request IP: 89.36.217.136, X And Mail SA (200185), Romania
    Last edited by Tom99; 13-05-2018 at 6:15 AM.
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 13th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    emptybox
    You're right, they're usually issued from a pool of IP addresses assigned to a particular access node covering a geographical area. So in order to ban the person by IP you'd have to ban everyone in that locality using the same ISP.

I doubt that very much. You might have convinced yourself you have but that is about all you would have done. In quarter of a century of being on the internet I've yet to see it work successfully.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Perhaps I should rephrase and say that I had my suspicions about who the poster was, but comparing IP addresses confirmed it.
    I wasn't just randomly scanning through all the users' IP addresses.
    (although presumably software could do that)

This was on a small forum with only 100 or so users, so not that difficult.

Even with Tom99's VPN example. He might think he's being completely anonymous, but his IP addresses have told the admins that he's using a VPN, and maybe even which VPN he is using.
    Last edited by emptybox; 13-05-2018 at 2:27 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 2,052 Thanks
    Tarambor
    The only thing you confirmed is that the poster shared the same ISP. Tom99s example does make him completely anonymous. Yes you know they're using a VPN and can even say which one it is but that is all you can do.

For figuring out if Mr.B is Mr.A you'd stand a better chance using brower's unique ID as it is unlikely they'd remember to use a different browser to access the same site.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 13-05-2018 at 4:07 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,105Posts Today

9,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin