Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KBB13
    • By KBB13 11th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 3Thanks
    KBB13
    Car buying blues
    • 11th May 18, 12:22 PM
    Car buying blues 11th May 18 at 12:22 PM
    Hello
    I dont want bore you with my backstory but I brought a cat D vauxhall astra last year. It had been hit in the front and needed a new bumper. I brought the car in August 2017 with a 6 month warranty from the "company".

Last week I noticed the car was clicking as I was turning the corner so I took it to the garage who informed me that my drive shaft is bent, there is a dent in the sub frame and the abs cable is slightly damaged.

The reason the car is clicking is because the wheel is turning too far and is rubbing against the wheel arch when turning which is dangerous when driving along. So essentially they suggested I get a new drive shaft, arms suspension etc etc which will cost a bloody fortune.

What are my rights here as, the car is obviously dangerously defective and not really drivable? This damage was not caused by my driving but by the original crash.

I phoned the guy who sold it to me and they haven't respondled to my voicemail so far.

I'm assuming that if a car is involved in a crash then the repairs have to be checked before sold on?

We have a receipt of the purchase with "6 months warranty for engine and gear box" which ran out in Feb this year.
    Any help with this would be amazing.

Thanks
    Kate
    Last edited by KBB13; 11-05-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Page 1
    • facade
    • By facade 11th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    facade
    • 11th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:56 PM
    They won't want to know I'm afraid. You've had it 8 months without noticing any of this, in those 8 months you could have crashed it no end of times, and driven over thousands of speed humps, kerbs, potholes etc.

How can you prove the damage was caused in the original crash? They will simply ask why you didn't tell them in the first couple of days.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th May 18, 1:06 PM
    • 27,976 Posts
    • 11,365 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th May 18, 1:06 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:06 PM
    Its clicking because the CV joint has failed. If it was clicking because the wheel was contacting something then it would have clicked the moment you bought it and drove it away.

Bent driveshaft, have you not driven over 5mph in the past 8 months? You would have noticed that very quickly. The daily visit to the dentist to have your fillings replaced may have given a clue.

CV joints are neither the engine or the gearbox.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 11th May 18, 1:23 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 11th May 18, 1:23 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:23 PM
    No chance on any of it. You just cannot prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

You will notice no one has asked aged , price paid , miles etc as it is just a non starter.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 11th May 18, 1:31 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,924 Thanks
    cajef
    • 11th May 18, 1:31 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:31 PM
    Sounds like the garage you took it to saw you coming, was it one of the fast fit cowboys?.

Get a second opinion as in all probabilty 'forgotmyname' is correct.
    Last edited by cajef; 11-05-2018 at 1:37 PM.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • KBB13
    • By KBB13 11th May 18, 1:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KBB13
    • 11th May 18, 1:46 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:46 PM
    Its clicking because the CV joint has failed. If it was clicking because the wheel was contacting something then it would have clicked the moment you bought it and drove it away.

Bent driveshaft, have you not driven over 5mph in the past 8 months? You would have noticed that very quickly. The daily visit to the dentist to have your fillings replaced may have given a clue.

CV joints are neither the engine or the gearbox.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I went into the garage suggesting that it was the cv joint but he showed me the drive shaft, damage on subframe and to the abs cable.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 11th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,924 Thanks
    cajef
    • 11th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:52 PM
    Surely if the tyre has been rubbing on the wheel arch when turning since you bought the car you would have noticed it when driving and the tyre tread must have been damaged.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • facade
    • By facade 11th May 18, 2:08 PM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    facade
    • 11th May 18, 2:08 PM
    • 11th May 18, 2:08 PM
    I went into the garage suggesting that it was the cv joint but he showed me the drive shaft, damage on subframe and to the abs cable.
    Originally posted by KBB13
    How bent did it look?
    As forgotmyname is saying, if it is bent enough to see, the car would have shaken itself to pieces on the way home from the dealer, never mind in the last 8 months.

The abs cable should repair neatly with insulation tape, although "damaged" abs wiring is a major MOT fail from the 20th, it depends on what the tester thinks "damaged" means when the abs system works properly and a cable sheath has been taped over neatly.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 11th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 8,399 Posts
    • 7,728 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 11th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 11th May 18, 2:34 PM
    I'd expect a cat D to require more than a new bumper, unless said car was worth about £500. Astra bumpers shouldn't be hard to source and should be cheap enough to spray, so unlikely to be a write off.

If you could prove it wasn't repaired properly (by getting details of the original damage from the owner than wrote it off) then you could maybe do something, but it's probably not worth the hassle.

After 8 months there's not really any come back - you should have noticed the damage by now and you can't prove it was damaged when you got it. You're stuck with an expensive lesson and deciding whether to fix or scrap it.
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 11th May 18, 5:06 PM
    • 698 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    So...it was ok for 8 months but suddenly it's the fault of whoever sold it to you? And caused by the Cat D?

Get real.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 11th May 18, 8:44 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    markudman
    How bent did it look?
    As forgotmyname is saying, if it is bent enough to see, the car would have shaken itself to pieces on the way home from the dealer, never mind in the last 8 months.

The abs cable should repair neatly with insulation tape, although "damaged" abs wiring is a major MOT fail from the 20th, it depends on what the tester thinks "damaged" means when the abs system works properly and a cable sheath has been taped over neatly.
    Originally posted by facade
    If the driveshaft was bent in any way, it would be like driving a car with square wheels.
    You have taking it to the wrong garage!
    The ABS cable can be checked for routeing and re-routed if failing something, A little tape or a little 5mm hose over the area, to stop any more damage.

replace the clinking CV joint £100-£150 Job done.
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 11th May 18, 8:46 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    markudman
    Originally posted by KBB13
    Was it a fast fit centre, IE Kwik fit, Halfords Etc
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

768Posts Today

5,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin