Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mandyminx
    • By mandyminx 11th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 8Thanks
    mandyminx
    0 WOW
    Passport Troubles
    • 11th May 18, 12:14 PM
    0 WOW
    Passport Troubles 11th May 18 at 12:14 PM
    Hi
    I am applying for my first passport Iím 48 and i am so stressed out I sent my birth certificate and a cover letter explaining what details I know about my parents I sent it check and send. I heard back saying that they neeed my marriage certificate and 2 forms of ID for myself now which is fine hereís the problem I was previously married and then changed my name by deed poll twice my solicitors whom dealt with my divorce dealt deed polls this was 20 years ago now the passport office want my first marriage certificate which I paid and have received but also want the deed polls which I donít have the originals I have a copy of one as I went for a job and they asked for it my solicitors said at the time they donít put anything on it like a stamp or signature so I explained this to passport office who told me I could get a statuary declaration my solicitors did ring after 3 days and said it would be £ 200 which I donít have so I rang passport office and they said to send the deed poll letters however I have been ringing solicitors for the other one for over a week now and they are not getting back to me. The passport office rang this morning asking what is happening I told them the situation and said that they wonít accept no copies they want originals after explaining that that is the only way I can get the deed poll copy they told me to send them I am off to solicitors today to nudge them for the second deed poll copy but I have a feeling they are not going to be good enough I am so stressed running round trying to get all this any advice please.
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 11th May 18, 1:59 PM
    • 18,800 Posts
    • 7,893 Thanks
    richardw
    • 11th May 18, 1:59 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:59 PM
    Where are the deed poll original certificates?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • mandyminx
    • By mandyminx 11th May 18, 4:28 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mandyminx
    • 11th May 18, 4:28 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:28 PM
    I don!!!8217;t have them they have been lost in moves this was 20 years ago I have been to the solicitors today and they have no record I also have rang passport office who have told me I need to get a new deed poll although I am confused to how this would work I don!t know what to do
    Last edited by mandyminx; 11-05-2018 at 4:34 PM.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th May 18, 4:49 PM
    • 19,890 Posts
    • 46,039 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 11th May 18, 4:49 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:49 PM
    What did you change your name to, something other than your maiden name?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • mandyminx
    • By mandyminx 11th May 18, 4:52 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mandyminx
    • 11th May 18, 4:52 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:52 PM
    I changed from my first Married name to my maiden name by deed poll then from that to my husbands name by deed poll before I married him.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th May 18, 5:21 PM
    • 19,890 Posts
    • 46,039 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 11th May 18, 5:21 PM
    • 11th May 18, 5:21 PM
    Too late for you now as you've already told the Passport Office that the deep polls exist, but you never needed a deed poll to go back to your maiden name, (or technically to use your husbands name) Have you asked them if a copy of your decree absolute will do?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • mandyminx
    • By mandyminx 11th May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mandyminx
    • 11th May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 11th May 18, 5:48 PM
    I didn!!!8217;t know that at the time I asked about decree absolute but they wanted marriage certificate which I have now got. I think I!!!8217;m going to have to make an appointment with a solicitor and do the statuary Declaration which is going to cost however when I enquirered about it they wanted photo ID which i don!!!8217;t have.
    Last edited by mandyminx; 11-05-2018 at 5:50 PM.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 11th May 18, 8:42 PM
    • 5,781 Posts
    • 5,107 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 11th May 18, 8:42 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:42 PM
    calm down - and breathe!
    (also try punctuation, I nearly fainted trying to read your first post).
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • mandyminx
    • By mandyminx 11th May 18, 9:38 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mandyminx
    • 11th May 18, 9:38 PM
    • 11th May 18, 9:38 PM
    Sorry I get so flustered and to be honest, punctuation is the last thing on my mind although you made me laugh
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 13th May 18, 12:08 AM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 1,305 Thanks
    Shelldean
    My daughter's name was deedpolled when she was three,to my maiden name. And then again to my married name many years later.

The first name change they gave us several certified copies that have an impression stamp on them.Plus a stamp that states it's a certified copy and signed by a solicitor. They told us to guard them as they wouldn't produce any more. We also hold the original. They are also bound.

Second time we just got the original plus one copy. Nowhere near as fancy this time.

Both have been accepted by various organizations including her passport application.

Her original change was 1995, so 23 years ago. So I don't understand why we was told to look after them, yet your solicitor didn't mention it.

We keep all her with the birth certificates, so they hopefully don't get lost.

I do hope you can resolve this problem.
    • lea2012
    • By lea2012 13th May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    lea2012
    You could print your own name change deed template off the Internet if you wanted to, free of charge and then back date it? It needs to be signed but doesn't have to be signed by a solicitor.
    I reverted to my maiden name before my divorce was finalised and the bank asked for a name change deed. This was 10 years ago and I didn't know it wasn't needed. I printed one online, 2 friends signed it and it was accepted by the bank and the passport office.
    The only people not to accept it were the foreign office when I applied for paperwork to be married in Greece to my now husband. They asked for it to be stamped (notarised I think) by a solicitor. I called a local one, took down the deeds and it was stamped and signed for £15 this was 4 years ago. All accepted by the passport office.

Cut out the solicitors, print your own and send it off for no costs.
    Lea :confused:
    • mandyminx
    • By mandyminx 13th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mandyminx
    Thank you for the advice I was going to book a 20 free minute appointment with a different solicitor, now I will have a search on the net for a deed poll template see how that works out.
    • Merry Mawkin
    • By Merry Mawkin 13th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Merry Mawkin
    https://freedeedpoll.org.uk/ try this one.
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 14th May 18, 5:35 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    smudge56
    https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/make-an-adult-deed-poll
    This is from the gov.uk website. HMPO need to see all your changes of name You will also be asked about all names you have to send at your interview. The reason for 2 forms of ID is to ensure you are using the one name for all purposes - a bank statement. Driving licence or anything from HMRC orDWP will do Nothing to be stressed about. And there!!!8217;s no need to pay £200 for it. The deed poll should be signed in your old name and your new name and witnessed by someone
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 15th May 18, 3:19 PM
    • 6,897 Posts
    • 9,100 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    A deed poll now won't be any good of the evidence the passport office is looking for is previous changes of name - what you are likely to need is a statutory declaration setting out the different names you have been known by and when and why you changed.

You can draft this yourself but it is worth first checking with the passport agency whether, as you changed from your married to maiden name on divorce, they will accept a letter to that effect together with your birther certificate and Decree Absolute (you can get a duplicate Decree Absolute through the court if need be)
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 15th May 18, 4:43 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    smudge56
    If itís just a reversion to maiden name a statutory declaration is not needed. Just her marriage certificate. Divorce doc satement saying sheís reverting to her maiden name for all purposes and proof that sheís using that name
    • mandyminx
    • By mandyminx 17th May 18, 8:14 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mandyminx
    Just an update the passport office have accepted all the paperwork got my interview soon thanks for all the advice
    • mandyminx
    • By mandyminx 30th May 18, 3:00 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mandyminx
    Hi
    Had my interview on Saturday my passport arrived today happy days
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,075Posts Today

8,359Users online

Martin's Twitter