Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NikkiJo123
    • By NikkiJo123 11th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NikkiJo123
    New Build - Anwyl
    • 11th May 18, 12:06 PM
    New Build - Anwyl 11th May 18 at 12:06 PM
    Hi everyone. I was hoping to get some opinions on our completion date.

Back in March we exchanged contacts on a new build house with Anwyl. We visited the house yesterday and it has the roof on, windows in, been fully plastered, bathroom tiles were on in the main bathroom and ensuite, flooring was down in those rooms also and we were told the kitchen was getting fitted today.

When we asked about the completion date (thinking it would be quite soon considering how much had been done to the house) the site manager said he thinks the 6th July is when the house will be ready and legal completion should take place on 20th July. We are not in any major rush to move in, i guess we are just excited but i couldn't understand why the completion date was so far away considering how much had been done to the house.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any similar experiences with Anwyl (or other developers) and whether you weer ever advised of a date and then had it brought forward?

I must add that we have not yet received a completion date from our solicitor so this date could just be the site managers estimate?

Thanks"
Page 1
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 15,596 Posts
    • 43,329 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 11th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:14 PM
    Is it actually even possible (ie legally) to Exchange Contracts without a Completion Date being fixed at the same time?
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th May 18, 12:28 PM
    • 10,512 Posts
    • 13,678 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 11th May 18, 12:28 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:28 PM
    Is it actually even possible (ie legally) to Exchange Contracts without a Completion Date being fixed at the same time?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    With a new-build, yes, very common.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 15,596 Posts
    • 43,329 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 11th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:31 PM
    With a new-build, yes, very common.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Ah right - not having bought a new-build I didnt know that.

So - just grinning a bit at having looked up the translation for the name of the builders and it means "dear". Not sure whether they'd want to inadvertently convey the message that they're expensive....
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • FloweryCurtains
    • By FloweryCurtains 11th May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    FloweryCurtains
    • 11th May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:43 PM
    Not with the same builder but we’re at a similar stage. Walks are plastered, kitchen units fitted but nothing in the bathrooms yet. We’re working towards completion in the middle of June which is what we’ve requested.
    • whatdoyouthink...
    • By whatdoyouthink... 11th May 18, 12:47 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    whatdoyouthink...
    • 11th May 18, 12:47 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:47 PM
    We bought our house from Anwyl, we reserved it in August (it was only a shell with no roof at the time), the sales guy told us it would probably be January before we could move in. Turned out the build was finished at the end of November and we ended up completing in the first week of December.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 62,446 Posts
    • 365,652 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 11th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:57 PM
    If it's a building site then they'd most likely release "groups of houses" on the same date, not individual houses. Although you could see things going on, "the team" then move along that group of houses to do that work in each of those.

By releasing "groups of houses" they retain the services of the teams they need as they're in on XYZ date to do ABC - and do them all in a fixed timeframe.

Then they need somebody to sign to say "that looks all right to me" - proper/professional "sign off" to say "they're good to go". Then the site area needs to be tidied up and barriers moved to prevent people getting to other parts (if it's a larger build)... and then it's "safe" for "people/the general public" to be walking around, carrying boxes, living life, receiving deliveries.

The project plan, with dates and teams required, will have been set up before they started building ... so the gas mains might not be laid until a week before X date (for example), when it's nearly done. Some jobs are harder to bring forward, or move, than simply asking a carpenter to pop in on a Saturday morning to finish something off.... services will always be on the date set in the plan.

Things take longer than you think ... you might think you see a fitted kitchen going in .... but you might find yours is first ... the last one's 2 weeks later .... and then a separate person comes along and fits handles, or something.
    • crystalpinks
    • By crystalpinks 11th May 18, 1:55 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    crystalpinks
    • 11th May 18, 1:55 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:55 PM
    Agree with pastures new.
    It sounds about right to me.
    We are completing on our new build at the end of this month, but the house has been at the stage you discuss for a good few weeks now. They are just finishing off the landscaping out the front.
    They move people in in batches, so a few houses will likely need to be ready at the same time.
    They all need to be checked and signed off by site and NBHC before head office organise a completion date.
    When we exchanged, the documents the solicitor send to had 31.05.18 as an estimated completion date (which has ended up being pretty spot on) does your exchange documentation have any indication of an estimated date?
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 11th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    Katapolt
    • 11th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 11th May 18, 2:21 PM
    theres a lot they need to get done one the house is completed before they can legally sell it, and it can take a while to get all the ducks in a row.

it may well come forward, but they need to allow that time to get all the relevant paperwork done and checks finalised.
    FTB 2017
    Currently dealing with a Quarter Life Crisis
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 11th May 18, 5:25 PM
    • 33,347 Posts
    • 18,041 Thanks
    kingstreet
    Technical answer on newbuild exchange of contracts and completion.

Contracts are exchanged with completion "on notice" and the builder's solicitor serves notice on the purchaser's solicitor two weeks from the completion date.

Sometimes this can be affected by when the NHBC cover note (or similar) is going to be issued when the property is build-complete.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • NikkiJo123
    • By NikkiJo123 11th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NikkiJo123
    The solicitor paperwork said the 1st June as an estimate so we are way off that. I don’t mind waiting until July though
    • Macca68
    • By Macca68 20th May 18, 9:43 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Macca68
    Anwyl Homss
    Hi all, I'm interested to read that some of you have bought from Anwyl Homes. I've been looking into Anwyl over this last year as we're interested in a move to North Wales in later life. The prospect of a new build is very appealing as I get older from a maintenance perspective.

Their builds seem to be very good quality, and have a bit of character too.

I'd be interested to hear what your experiences of dealing with Anwyl have been, and what you think of their builds, so please feel free to share your views.

Cheers, Mac
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,794Posts Today

4,211Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin