Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joho
    • By joho 11th May 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3,937Posts
    • 13,628Thanks
    joho
    Body Butters
    • 11th May 18, 11:42 AM
    Body Butters 11th May 18 at 11:42 AM
    I've used Boots Extracts Body butters for years but they are discontinuing them. :-(

I think Body Shop is overpriced. Dr. Organic is just about acceptable when on offer. But can anyone recommend any others that are reasonably priced? Preferably SLS/SDS free too.

EDIT: Or any other good body moisturiser! I just like butters.

Have a good weekend peeps.x
    Last edited by joho; 11-05-2018 at 1:26 PM.
    There - in that place; they're - they are; their - owned by them.
    If you have nothing constructive to say, just move along.
Page 1
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 24,223 Posts
    • 63,259 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 11th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 11th May 18, 2:34 PM
    I love Soap and Glory, especially the lime one. Usually on 3 for 2 at Boots.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 11th May 18, 2:41 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 11th May 18, 2:41 PM
    • 11th May 18, 2:41 PM
    Or you could just use a pretend body butter that doesnt exist called 'none', and it will have the same effect.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 11th May 18, 3:37 PM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 11,291 Thanks
    Hermia
    • 11th May 18, 3:37 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:37 PM
    I really like the Superdrug range. The Lotus Flower one is especially nice. I have sensitive skin and eczema and they don't upset my skin at all.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 11th May 18, 3:48 PM
    • 3,824 Posts
    • 9,674 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 11th May 18, 3:48 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:48 PM
    Body butter is the one thing I've never been able to get my head around
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 11th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 9,269 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 11th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:35 PM
    I used to love this one, wasn't sure if you could still get it, but it would appear so.

http://www.boots.com/search/palmer's+cocoa+butter
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 11th May 18, 11:06 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 38,879 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 11th May 18, 11:06 PM
    • 11th May 18, 11:06 PM
    Another vote for Superdrug's own brand. They work out at a good price when they have them at BOGOF, still a reasonable price when it's buy one, get the second half price.
    I like the lotus & cherry blossom too

If you have very dry skin body butters are way more moisturising than body lotion.

Just looked at the website- currently BOGOF : 2 for £3.99- but the cocoa butter & vanilla variant out of stock-
    Last edited by Katiehound; 11-05-2018 at 11:09 PM.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2319 cc+.2205mm (£2.20.5) + RK £5.21= £30.64.5
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th May 18, 7:31 AM
    • 20,361 Posts
    • 54,715 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 12th May 18, 7:31 AM
    • 12th May 18, 7:31 AM
    Or you could just use a pretend body butter that doesnt exist called 'none', and it will have the same effect.
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    No it won't.
    It will have the effect of leaving your skin dry.
    • catherine/kate
    • By catherine/kate 12th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    catherine/kate
    • 12th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 12th May 18, 8:28 AM
    You can pretty much always get Body Shop stuff at 40% off - either from the Avon ladies type arrangement or through codes online. I like their body butter but not at full price!

I second the Palmers Cocoa Butter recommendation, although if you live in a cold house you may find it sets quite hard in the winter.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 12th May 18, 1:17 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    donnac2558
    M&S do their own brand version as well. Sorry do not use butters but noticed today when cutting through the beauty hall.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th May 18, 1:22 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 42,235 Thanks
    elsien
    I'm going to have to ask - what is body butter? Posh name for body lotion
    so that it's twice the price?
    Serious question as I have absolutely no idea.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Pdmum
    • By Pdmum 12th May 18, 2:35 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Pdmum
    Nspa
    Nspa are a really good alternative to Bodyshop. You can get them in Asda
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th May 18, 2:38 PM
    • 20,361 Posts
    • 54,715 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm going to have to ask - what is body butter? Posh name for body lotion
    so that it's twice the price?
    Serious question as I have absolutely no idea.
    Originally posted by elsien
    It's a lot thicker consistency than body lotion.
    Usually comes in a tub rather than a tube.
    • lucywillow
    • By lucywillow 12th May 18, 6:06 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    lucywillow
    NSPA body butter
    Re: NSPA body butter. Poundland currently have these in store. Bought one last week to try as it's only a pound and went back today to get another 3 as it's so lovely. Contains Rosehip oil and smells really nice. Hope this helps
    • joho
    • By joho 13th May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 3,937 Posts
    • 13,628 Thanks
    joho
    Thank you for your recommendations. I'll take a look at those ranges. Superdrug is mega convenient too!

Jo.x
    There - in that place; they're - they are; their - owned by them.
    If you have nothing constructive to say, just move along.
    • Caraway90
    • By Caraway90 14th May 18, 9:58 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Caraway90
    I got a tub of body butter from Home Bargains recently for less than £1! It's not the thickest body butter I've used but it smells good and for the price I'm perfectly happy with it.

Also as a side note I prefer moisturiser in a tub as there no wastage - you can clearly see it all been used up, unlike in a tube where it's impossible to get every little bit out without cutting it up!
    FTB 2017
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th May 18, 10:48 AM
    • 20,361 Posts
    • 54,715 Thanks
    Pollycat
    For Elsien:

Many shoppers looking for quality skin care products and spa supplies spend years buying and using many of the great solutions out in the market. Still, not many people know the difference between body butter, skin lotion and skin cream. We often get the question: What is the difference between Body Butter, Lotion and Cream?
    We asked Spa De Soleil CEO Rena Revivo to explain the difference to us.
    Rena explains ďAt Spa De Soleil we focus on natural and organic skin care products, although not all skin care products on the market are natural or organic. All of these products, butters, lotions and cremes, are used to soften and moisturize the skin, as well as add vital nutrients, but the difference here are important.Ē

Body Butter
    The thickest of the three is body butter, which has a consistency similar to the butter we eat. It has the strongest scent and lasts longer than both lotion and creme. Body butter products are typically manufactured using a combination of carrier oils and essential butters and do not typically contain water. Carrier oils are the substances that are used to hold and deliver the essential ingredients into the skin. Butters are the essential fats and minerals that are extracted from natural ingredients (palm, shea, cocoa, mango etc.) Each butter will vary in its unique texture, rigidity, and absorbency. These ingredients (carrier oil and butter) are combined, sometimes with additional specialized ingredients, (the secret formulas of every brand!) to formulate a body butter product.
    Body butters are applied to retain moisture, lubricate and nourish the skin. Some spas and dermatologists suggest that people use body butter on their lips, hands, elbows, legs and feet. Some absorb into the skin quickly while others may leave a slight oily barrier depending on skin type and formulation.

Skin Cream
    Cream products are thinner than body butters and are typically whipped. Creams usually contain the same basic ingredients as butters, plus water based ingredients, perhaps including aloe, hydrosol or a herbal infusion. Sometimes manufacturers add a wax such as beeswax as well as some type of mild thickener like xanthan gum or an emulsifier like borax. A cream may have butters or solid fats in it, but not necessarily.

Body Lotion
    Lotions are similar to creams but are even lighter (because they contain more water) and provide the thinnest type of application. Usually manufactured with a water based formula skin lotion is very lightweight. It will not necessarily moisturize as much or stay on as long as a butter or cream might. Usually lotions are applied to the arms, stomach and thighs.

Whatís Best For Your Skin?
    The answer to this question depends on your skin concern. Given that creams and lotions contain more water, if your skin is especially dehydrated, they may work better. As a rule of thumb, lotions usually work well on oily skin and creams on drier skin.
    Body butters are thicker and so they may stay on top of your skin longer which can help reduce loss of moisture, but wonít directly moisturize. In this case itís best to apply the body butter to pre-dampened skin.
    What really moisturizes skin is water or substances that contain a lot of water such as herbal infusions, hydrosols or aloe.

The Bottom Line
    If your skin is extremely dry, apply the product to damp skin, or alternatively, select a product with high water content such as a lotion or a cream to moisturize.
    Oils and butters will lubricate and soften the skin, helping to prevent further loss of moisture by creating a barrier.
    Of course, each formulation contains unique scents and additional vitamins and minerals with benefits that can address any of your additional concerns. Once you have decided between a butter, cream or lotion, itís time to find the best skin care products for your private label needs at Spa De Soleil!
    Source:
    https://www.spadesoleil.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-body-butter-lotion-and-cream-products/
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 14th May 18, 10:51 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 38,879 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I forgot to say- do Superdrug still have their money back happiness guarantee on their own products?

If so, you could try their body butter and then get money back if it doesn't suit you. (I haven't bought much there in recent months so don't know if the guarantee still exists- in which this might be duff info!!.)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2319 cc+.2205mm (£2.20.5) + RK £5.21= £30.64.5
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,524Posts Today

6,986Users online

Martin's Twitter