Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Batdrica
    • By Batdrica 11th May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Batdrica
    No warranty on damp treatment
    • 11th May 18, 11:24 AM
    No warranty on damp treatment 11th May 18 at 11:24 AM
    Hello
    I just bought an house. Before this, I got a surveyor to come and do a buildings survey. He found some damp so I requested the seller to get it fixed. In the end we agreed to split the quote. I made payment when I got the invoice and got confirmation from the damp treatment company they have received my money.
    Right after the day I collect my keys I just receive an email from the same company saying they cant release the warranty documents because the seller has not settled his account.
    This smells bad. Am I right to think that the seller will never pay and they say they did the work but never did? Do I still have right to complain of the work with the invoice and proof of payment for the work???
    What do you think?
    This was my first home and I am an incredible newbie... I am afraid I might have made a mistake with this...

Let me know what you think
    Thanks
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th May 18, 11:25 AM
    • 7,685 Posts
    • 7,835 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 11th May 18, 11:25 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:25 AM
    Did your contract say the seller had to provide you with a warranty?
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 11th May 18, 11:48 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 11th May 18, 11:48 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:48 AM
    What evidence have you got he agreed to psy half - email trails? Solicitor letters? Presumably this was agreed through your solicitor?
    • SG27
    • By SG27 11th May 18, 12:27 PM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    SG27
    • 11th May 18, 12:27 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:27 PM
    You should never ask the vendor to carry out any work. They would just bodge it to get the sale through. Knock to money off your offer instead and do it yourself after moving in.

Too late now, have you asked your solicitor what they suggest?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th May 18, 1:43 PM
    • 6,349 Posts
    • 6,223 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 11th May 18, 1:43 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:43 PM
    Am I right to think that the seller will never pay and they say they did the work but never did? Do I still have right to complain of the work with the invoice and proof of payment for the work???
    Originally posted by Batdrica
    So was it the seller who instructed the damp proofing company?

If so, I guess the damp proofing company will pursue the seller for the rest of their money - and hopefully get it eventually.

Assuming the seller pays, have the damp proofing company agreed that they will transfer the warranty to you? (A warranty isn't always transferable.)

Unless the warranty is transferred, the company is unlikely to address any problems.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

2,070Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin