Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tio794
    • By Tio794 11th May 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tio794
    Tax deducting professtional development
    • 11th May 18, 11:02 AM
    Tax deducting professtional development 11th May 18 at 11:02 AM
    Hi,
    I am currently working as a dental nuree and will be going to university in a few months to become a orthodontic therapist which i will be paying for myself. I wanted to know that if i become self employed as a nurse would i be able to tax deduct this course as it's to my understanding professtional development. Would could advise me, do i need an accountant. What should i do??
Page 1
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 11th May 18, 11:10 AM
    • 10,821 Posts
    • 20,399 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 11th May 18, 11:10 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:10 AM
    You can't claim tax relief for training costs for new skills. You can only claim for keeping existing skills up to date and relevant.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 11th May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 16,235 Posts
    • 23,093 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 11th May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:38 AM
    That is indeed the position.

if you're self-employed and you undertake training to keep your current skills updated then any such training costs will be allowable. This also applies if the training is required to maintain membership of a professional body. .... However if you undertake training to acquire a new skill then this will not be allowable.

https://www.thefriendlyaccountants.co.uk/self-employed-training-costs/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

38Posts Today

2,971Users online

Martin's Twitter