Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Should I go with grey I like or keep it classic with white

Go with the grey

57.69% • 15 votes

Stick to off white

42.31% • 11 votes

You may not vote on this poll

26 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • gazelle15
    • By gazelle15 11th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gazelle15
    New kitchen
    • 11th May 18, 10:47 AM
    New kitchen 11th May 18 at 10:47 AM
    We are looking to replace our kitchen and I really like the light grey cabinets. But when someone came out to price up the other day a comment he made about the existing kitchen regardung the colour (beech) being dates made me wonder....will grey be the same in a few years?

So now I am wondering whether to go with off white for the cabinets and just bring the get in with my tiles/paint
Page 1
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 11th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 2,107 Posts
    • 3,223 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 11th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:56 AM
    I don't think you should avoid something you want because it might become dated. Everything will become dated at some point.

Don't pay too much attention to the comments from the pricing up chap. I suspect they say that about every kitchen they see.
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 11th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 791 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    sleepymans
    • 11th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:04 AM
    Get something you really love.....then even if it eventually dates, the chances are you will still at least like it!

I would avoid gloss finish doors though.......unless you really enjoy spending hours each week making them stay shiney
    Goddess
    • gazelle15
    • By gazelle15 11th May 18, 11:30 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gazelle15
    • 11th May 18, 11:30 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:30 AM
    Definitely not going for gloss! Looking at traditional style shaker doorstep they don't really date to much and can be adapted with new handles etc to update. Just got me thinking it is easier to freshen up a white kitchen if I change colour schemes (rest off house is definitely following the grey trend currently)
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 11th May 18, 11:33 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 11th May 18, 11:33 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:33 AM
    I have grey (the ones from Ikea, I'd say they're mid grey) with oak worktops. I wondered the same - about it looking dated in a few years - but the whole look is kind of vintage i.e. old (and a bit lived in/scruffy) anyway so I don't think it will really matter in our home.

I wouldn't go for super glossy because I think that really will look dated... but I am probably biased against it as I don't particularly like that look!

Even if you think it may go out of fashion, I'd still say to choose what you love. If you go for a well-established company or a standard size door, you can always replace the fronts in 10 years if you feel you must.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 11th May 18, 1:02 PM
    • 8,201 Posts
    • 7,395 Thanks
    phill99
    • 11th May 18, 1:02 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:02 PM
    I fit kitchens for a living. I always say to my customer, apart from white and cream, kitchens will be dated within 5 Years. However, I always say that it is your kitchen and do exactly what you want!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 11th May 18, 1:33 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 11th May 18, 1:33 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:33 PM
    Glad you've decided to avoid gloss, I have a sneaking suspicion that in 20 years high gloss kitchens will be viewed in much the same way avocado bathrooms are now.

Personally I would go for grey but that's mainly because I'm not overly keen on white kitchens.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 11th May 18, 3:22 PM
    • 2,107 Posts
    • 3,223 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 11th May 18, 3:22 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:22 PM
    Iíll confess I donít get the concept of a kitchen colour being dated within a few years. Perhaps thatís because Iíve no idea whatís Ďon trendí.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 11th May 18, 4:53 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    cranford
    • 11th May 18, 4:53 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:53 PM
    The answer is to get painted kitchen doors then you can at least just repaint the doors. I have these in my current kitchen which is 7 years old but as good as new so it will be a few years yet before I get the colour charts out.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 11th May 18, 5:50 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    I hate white and cream kitchens also not very keen on wood. My last kitchen was limed oak which was a bit better than plain wood for me. Our current kitchen is stainless steel and black with glass wall cabinets It is hard to keep it looking nice all the time but I love it.
    • daivid
    • By daivid 12th May 18, 9:13 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    daivid
    As above go with the one you like. All kitchens can/will end up looking dated. If you are lucky you will still love it when it is out of fashion, and if you are really lucky you will still have it when it comes back into fashion
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 12th May 18, 11:41 AM
    • 3,259 Posts
    • 4,717 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    We went for natural oak 'shaker' 12 years ago.

Still looks good, and we still love it. Doubt it will ever go out of fashion - there are certainly very similar styles in the kitchen shops today.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 12-05-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th May 18, 4:12 AM
    • 26,167 Posts
    • 94,946 Thanks
    Davesnave
    We went for painted ash. We chose ivory because that was the base colour; all other colours were sprayed over the base and tended to fill-in the grain. Also, we noticed on a long-standing advertising display, the base colour was showing where edges had been knocked or worn.

Whether painted or natural, solid wood rather than a plastic wrap seems worth it. For us, ash was cheaper than oak. I'd have preferred natural finish, but the ivory reflects light better in our north-facing kitchen.
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 13th May 18, 1:32 PM
    • 3,259 Posts
    • 4,717 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    The bonus with solid wood is that it can be repaired.

After an incident with a lit gas hob and a tea towel (don't ask) one of our base doors ended up with a scorch mark about 4" by 6".

We took the door to a local furniture restoration guy and he did a wonderful job - you'd never know the door had been damaged.

Try doing that with a foil wrap!
    • cyclotron
    • By cyclotron 23rd May 18, 2:56 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    cyclotron
    Saving £300 on an Ikea designed kitchen?
    We are actually putting in a grey/shiny kitchen - got the local ikea staff to help design it - but we still might go with a locally made one by a craftsman instead.

A trick that I noticed, which I havent seen mentioned, is that the quite flexible ikea kitech was built on standard white METOD carcasses, then nice coloured doors, of your preferred design/colour.

in my design, I realised that around £300 was panels which were the same colour as the doors, suggested as being installed to cover up all those annoying white METOD bits, et the end, on back of kitchen islands etc.

I used their online design tools and I was able to change all white METOD to a black METOD , and this has a decent simulated wood finish. It matches very nicely with my selected doors, and does not need covering up half-as much as the white basic items!

I was hoping to potentially save a grand, but it was only three hundred quid, still is quite a saving on something that I personally don't need, and the ikea 'experts' overlooked this option when they were proposing a design to me.

I am replacing an 18-yr old kitchen, but I can't just paint the doors as the plastic is peeling off roughly.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 24th May 18, 8:57 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    cranford
    That's one big advantage with DIY Kitchens, you have a choice of 18 carcass and other fitment panels colours and can save on panel costs and even a few cm's in space, which in my case was vital.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,469Users online

Martin's Twitter