Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Claire Steele
    • By Claire Steele 11th May 18, 10:46 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Claire Steele
    Halifax Mortgage application declined
    • 11th May 18, 10:46 AM
    Halifax Mortgage application declined 11th May 18 at 10:46 AM
    We are first time buyers. Our MB submitted an initial application to Halifax which was declined, he has now appealed it and awaiting an underwriter to get in touch.

I have had some credit issues in the past (defaults), totalling 2400 and all showing as settled from June 2017. Any credit I have at the minute is all up to-date.

My husband has no credit apart from his O2 contracts which have always been up to-date. A CCJ appeared on his file in Oct 2017 for 887.00 this has since been settled. Our MB said this was the only thing that he could see that would be the issue so he included a letter in the appeal from the Court Office to support the CCJ being settled in full and explaining it will be removed from the file entirely within 4-6 weeks.

We are so anxious about this appeal and wondering what you feel our chances are? We have 10% deposit and more than meet the affordability criteria.

Thanks in advance

Claire
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 11th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 34,472 Posts
    • 18,715 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 11th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:49 AM
    What dates were the defaults registered, as that date is far more important than when they were settled.

Did this pass an agreement in principle at 90%?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Claire Steele
    • By Claire Steele 11th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Claire Steele
    • 11th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:15 AM
    ranging from 2012-2014.

MB didn't mention agreement in principle he just said it was declined but that he was appealing it on the grounds of the CCJ being settled and will be removed from file entirely.
    • Claire Steele
    • By Claire Steele 11th May 18, 11:25 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Claire Steele
    • 11th May 18, 11:25 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:25 AM
    ranging from 2012-2014.

MB didn't mention agreement in principle he just said it was declined but that he was appealing it on the grounds of the CCJ being settled and will be removed from file entirely
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 11th May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 34,472 Posts
    • 18,715 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 11th May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:43 PM
    You might have got away with the defaults, but may not have achieved 90%.

With a CCJ in the last twelve months, the decline isn't a surprise and I would not have submitted an application while it was still visible, if it is being removed. It's and added issue you could have done without.

I would say you should have been given/got a cast-iron AIP before you were told to start viewing.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Claire Steele
    • By Claire Steele 11th May 18, 2:04 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Claire Steele
    • 11th May 18, 2:04 PM
    • 11th May 18, 2:04 PM
    Will we have done more harm to our credit files if lenders have been searching?

If we wait and few weeks and try again once the CCJ is removed?
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 11th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 34,472 Posts
    • 18,715 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 11th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 11th May 18, 5:20 PM
    A single search isn't going to make a lot of difference with three defaults on file.

Where did you find your broker, in a national chain estate agent? Sounds like a "always try Halifax they'll take anything" kind of planner...

Still, your appeal isn't over yet and Halifax does move in very, very mysterious ways sometimes even the best of us find odd.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th May 18, 5:49 PM
    • 61,311 Posts
    • 54,553 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th May 18, 5:49 PM
    • 11th May 18, 5:49 PM
    If we wait and few weeks and try again once the CCJ is removed?
    Originally posted by Claire Steele
    On what grounds is the CCJ being removed. Or is it simply age.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • freedom12
    • By freedom12 12th May 18, 12:12 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    freedom12
    • 12th May 18, 12:12 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:12 PM
    Hi Claire
    DO let me know , how will CCJ be removed . I also have a satisfied CCJ on my file Because I paid in after 1 month
    • Claire Steele
    • By Claire Steele 14th May 18, 1:28 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Claire Steele
    Our broker is a local guy used by many of our friends and family. He comes highly recommended so i'm confident that he has approached the most suitable lender to our needs. We're still waiting anxiously on the outcome of the appeal.

The CCJ is being withdrawn by the County Court that enforced it as we received no correspondence in relation to it and settled it in full once we seen it appear on the credit file.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,490Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Follow Martin