Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Silverhead
    • By Silverhead 11th May 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Silverhead
    Access for roofer denied by neighbour.
    • 11th May 18, 10:34 AM
    Access for roofer denied by neighbour. 11th May 18 at 10:34 AM
    My house is one of three in a courtyard converted from stables in 1970 but has the original slate roof built in 1860. The houses are adjoining. There is NO back doors or windows just brick from the roof to the ground. The only access to the back of the roof is through a neighbours garden in the street behind.

My next door neighbour called a roofer and then approacher the neighbour behind re.access. He agreed it on condition that he was in when the repairs were being done. She went to his house six times to agree a date but he was never in. Eventually she put a note through giving a date 3 days on, but received no reply. The roofer arrived on that date. No one in so he went in and did her repair. When rear neighbour saw that he came to her shouting and bawling and complaining of trespass. ! Understandable. She apologised profusely but he did not calm down.

About 10 roof tiles need replacing so the roofer phoned rear neighbour and left a message also apologised but asking to agree an access date for my roof.
    He went to that bungalow three times, no reply, then left a note and his phone no which resulted in him receiving a furious phone call from the man, saying no access to him or any other roofer. We all have private houses, not council. Roofer says it is too dangerous for access any other way. Also if he gives a date it will always be subject to the weather, wind and rain.

I am 74 years old, live alone and have walking difficulties. I have lived here for 28 years and have never needed to ask for access. I would try to contact him but am nervous of having the aggressive response he gives. Any advise please ? I cannot get to a citizens advise place as I cannot drive due to an injury and have no relatives in this area and my friends are over 80 years and can't help.. PLEAS HELP SOMEONE.
Page 1
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 11th May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 2,101 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 11th May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:38 AM
    Can't the roofer go over from the front? That's what ours did when he needed to get to the back of ours (we're in a mid-terrace and he couldn't get his ladders through our doors). Is the roof that unstable that he can't manage? Perhaps ask a different roofer for their opinion. I don't think it's that unusual a situation so they must have ways without going through the neighbour's.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 11th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:09 PM
    http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/rights-under-access-to-neighbouring-land-act.html
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 11th May 18, 3:33 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    pinklady21
    • 11th May 18, 3:33 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:33 PM
    Check the title deeds. Is there a right of reasonable access over neighbouring properties to maintain the property or something similar? This is a fairly usual type of clause. Check that first, and then wave it under the silly neighbour's nose if he moans again.
    Is there any possibility that one day he might need to ask for a similar access for something he wants to do?
    Best of luck.
    • missile
    • By missile 11th May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    missile
    • 11th May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:05 PM
    It may be the safest easiest via neighbours garden, but there is always an alternative. Ask another roofer.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • LUHG1878
    • By LUHG1878 11th May 18, 6:01 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    LUHG1878
    • 11th May 18, 6:01 PM
    • 11th May 18, 6:01 PM
    ^this^

Your neighbour is legally obliged to give you access to maintain your property. I would post a copy of the Access Act through his letter box, and then go round to speak to him again in a few days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

537Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin