Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elz
    • By elz 11th May 18, 10:19 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    elz
    Cancelled flight, re-routed, travel expense comp?
    • 11th May 18, 10:19 AM
    Cancelled flight, re-routed, travel expense comp? 11th May 18 at 10:19 AM
    Hello, looking for some advice as I'm struggling to find other experiences of my current situation.

British Airways cancelled a returning flight on an upcoming trip from San Jose, CA (SJC). The flight was over 14 days away. They've re-routed me on a flight from a San Francisco (SFO). The flight is only an hour earlier than the original flight, and it gets me into Heathrow in time to get the original connecting flight to Manchester. So no compensation for delays.

However, to get to the new airport will require either a train journey or an overnight stay the night before. I'll already be in San Fran the day before but was supposed to go back to San Jose that afternoon as SJC airport is only a ten minute drive from my friend's house where I'm staying.

So, does anyone know if BA would be likely to refund me the cost of either the train journey back to San Fran, or a hotel for another overnight stay?

Would be interested to hear from anyone with a similar experience.
Page 1
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    JPears
    • 11th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:49 AM
    Welcome.
    Firstly, you should post your query on the BA thread, not your own personal thread which massively clutters up the hoard making it difficult for all vistors old and new.
    Second, you should insist on a departure from SJ. The obligations under regualtion 261/2004 are not limited by the 14 day notice, just compensation.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • elz
    • By elz 11th May 18, 10:52 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    elz
    • 11th May 18, 10:52 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:52 AM
    Sorry, I didn't see a BA thread.

I didn't insist on departure from SJC because that was the only BA flight on that day. And I'm not flexible with days. The only alternative would be for them to book me on a flight with another airline, but it would have had 3 connections which I wasn't prepared to do.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th May 18, 12:05 PM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    JPears
    • 11th May 18, 12:05 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:05 PM
    BA should be responsible for either your travel costs
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • elz
    • By elz 11th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    elz
    • 11th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:52 PM
    Thank you for your help
    • CM66
    • By CM66 11th May 18, 3:45 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 3,076 Thanks
    CM66
    • 11th May 18, 3:45 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:45 PM
    Just keep the receipt and send it to BA once your home, as long as they are reasonable costs they should pay up
    • elz
    • By elz 11th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    elz
    • 11th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:47 PM
    Sounds positive. I'm hopeful they'll reimburse me as San Francisco hotels aren't cheap! Thank you
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 11th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 11th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:30 PM
    They might cover the cost of travelling to SFO but I would be surprised if they agree to pay for your hotel accommodation since the new flight departs on the same day as your original flight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

2,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin