Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mills705
    • By mills705 11th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 87Posts
    • 26Thanks
    mills705
    switched suppliers- now issue with electricity readings
    • 11th May 18, 10:09 AM
    switched suppliers- now issue with electricity readings 11th May 18 at 10:09 AM
    Hi,
    I recently switched from enginie to first utility bringing my supplier from my old home.
    First utility asked for opening reads which I gave them last week- today I got an email stating the electricity reading was incorrect and being changed to several thousand units higher!
    I have contacted them and provided a photo of the unit to them to show them I cannot be where they think I am!
    They said to take another one in 7 days but I am confused as to why this has happened.
    Has this happened to anyone before?
Page 1
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 11th May 18, 10:29 AM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 11th May 18, 10:29 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:29 AM
    Have you got an old analogue dial meter, the one with the 6 rotating dials with pointers ?
    These are the only type of electric meter where both customers and the suppliers will mess it up.t
    • mills705
    • By mills705 14th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    mills705
    • 14th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 14th May 18, 2:48 PM
    Long story cut short tbh here-
    First utility didnt take over the supply properly so I ended up paying more through enginie than i wanted- they wanted 800 quid off me went down to 200 after I gave them readings a couple weeks ago.
    Im guessing the systems they have don't update with the reading I gave them which means I have to supply two photos to first utility to proove my useage. seems daft when I have a photo to show them

Yes it is a dial- more like an old speedo on a car though than a dial you could see all the numbers on mind
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 14th May 18, 4:40 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 14th May 18, 4:40 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:40 PM
    The right-most digit on your meter (which is often in a different colour) is a tenth of a kWh unit - a kWh is about 13p. However, if this was read at anytime as full kWh then this can create an overcharge.

If you have your final bill from your last supplier, take the final read, then take a read on your meter now and calculate how much you should have been due over this period, bearing in mind you need to add your standing charge and VAT to this amount.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,967Posts Today

6,885Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin