Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • muckles
    • By muckles 11th May 18, 9:54 AM
    • 48Posts
    • 1Thanks
    muckles
    Architect not responding to phone calls or phone messages
    • 11th May 18, 9:54 AM
    Architect not responding to phone calls or phone messages 11th May 18 at 9:54 AM
    The architect who submitted plans to the local planning authority for approval at my request in January seems to have abandoned my project. When I phoned the Council Planning Dept to find out what was happening they told me there were several issues with the plans and that they had written to the architect in February and we're still waiting for his reply. I have phoned and emailed the architect but he never responds.
    How can I unblock this situation?
    Many thanks.
Page 1
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 11th May 18, 11:16 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 11th May 18, 11:16 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:16 AM
    Have you written to them?
    • PatBS
    • By PatBS 11th May 18, 1:03 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    PatBS
    • 11th May 18, 1:03 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:03 PM
    Do you have his address? You could always pop round and see if he/she is about. Maybe they've fallen sick?
    • missile
    • By missile 11th May 18, 1:54 PM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    missile
    • 11th May 18, 1:54 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:54 PM
    I would ask council for a copy of their letter and employ another architect
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 11th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 11th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:31 PM
    This sounds very odd.

I suppose the first thing to do if they really are ignoring you is to review the terms and conditions under which you appointed them. Most should have terms of engagement or are covered by the rules of conduct of their professional institution if they have one. Usually an appointment would last until you receive the outcome of the planning application so the "architect" is probably contractually obliged to respond to you and the planning department so you could take legal action against them.

Is the "architect" a member of a professional institution? Most have rules of conduct and failing to respond to a client is a big no no, so you might be able to complain to their institution.
    • muckles
    • By muckles 18th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    muckles
    • 18th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 18th May 18, 10:33 AM
    Many thanks for all of the replies.
    Soon after I discovered the architect's home address he emailed me. Usual 'so busy' excuses but I have told him in the strongest terms that I expect him to keep my project current.
    Advice I have received here is much appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,728Posts Today

4,270Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin