Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • claire111
    • By claire111 11th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 192Posts
    • 46Thanks
    claire111
    Landlord or tenant responsible for wasp nest removal ?
    • 11th May 18, 9:52 AM
    Landlord or tenant responsible for wasp nest removal ? 11th May 18 at 9:52 AM
    Hi

My tenant has found several small nests (probably wasp but I haven't been to look at them yet) in their loft space, which weren't there when they moved in. There hasn't been a wasp problem previously. I imagine they are getting in through a crack in the joins of the soffit board somewhere.

Who should be responsible for the cost of removal ?

I am guessing me as it is my responsibility to make sure they can't get in ?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 7,672 Posts
    • 7,820 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 11th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:02 AM
    Are the nests occupied? They're not usually reused. I doubt it's a landlord issue anyway.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 25,061 Posts
    • 92,623 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:38 AM
    I'd be surprised if there is anything in your contract with the tenant which makes it your responsibility to prevent or deal with insects entering the loft.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • MrWB
    • By MrWB 11th May 18, 10:45 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MrWB
    • 11th May 18, 10:45 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:45 AM
    Habitability is the landlord's responsibility, and so responsibility vermin/pest control when natural causes are, therefore, the landlord's responsibility.

If pest/vermin issues are caused by the tenant's behaviour (eg maintaining unclean areas that end up attracting mice and ants) then the tenant would pay. Obviously some mice and ant infestations aren't caused by uncleanliness.

Therefore, when it comes to wasps in attics it would almost certainly be a landlord's responsibility.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th May 18, 11:01 AM
    • 10,530 Posts
    • 13,701 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 11th May 18, 11:01 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:01 AM
    Habitability is the landlord's responsibility, and so responsibility vermin/pest control when natural causes are, therefore, the landlord's responsibility.

If pest/vermin issues are caused by the tenant's behaviour (eg maintaining unclean areas that end up attracting mice and ants) then the tenant would pay. Obviously some mice and ant infestations aren't caused by uncleanliness.

Therefore, when it comes to wasps in attics it would almost certainly be a landlord's responsibility.
    Originally posted by MrWB
    Probably only at the start of a tenancy though if the wasps' nest was already in situ. Not if the tenant has been there a while.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 16,686 Posts
    • 41,275 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 11th May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:24 AM
    I had a nest of wasps in my roof years ago and they came in through the bathroom window. It happens and it's nothing to do with the building. It can happen to anyone. As such, I don't think it's the LL's problem.

In my case, I called the Council for advice and they said not to call pest control as they would be likely to be back anyway but to wait for the cold front and watch for them in the meantime. I went with their advice and indeed, no-one got stung and they suddenly disappear, have not come back for over 10 years. Saying that, if indeed it takes a cold front for them to go, it could be many months for these tenants.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 11th May 18, 11:58 AM
    • 12,114 Posts
    • 17,061 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 11th May 18, 11:58 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:58 AM
    I don't think that legally you are responsible (assuming this is England or Wales).

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/pests_and_vermin_infestations_in_rented_homes
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 11th May 18, 7:36 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 2,158 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 11th May 18, 7:36 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:36 PM
    How have the wasps accessed the loft? Mine did it through the hole left when a cold water tank was removed & the hole for the overflow in the fascia was not sealed. That would have been landlord if I had rented. How else would the wasps have accessed the loft? It isn't as if we leave our lofts open all the time to allow them to go back & forth at will.

Landlord / property maintenance problem.
    Last edited by badmemory; 11-05-2018 at 7:39 PM.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 11th May 18, 7:40 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 1,086 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 11th May 18, 7:40 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:40 PM
    How have the wasps accessed the loft? Mine did it through the hole left when a cold water tank was removed & the hole for the overflow in the fascia was not sealed. That would have been landlord if I had rented. How else would the wasps have accessed the loft? It isn't as if we leave our lofts open all the time to allow them to go back & forth at will.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    A properly designed void in a roof needs airflow to stop any damp issues, that's how they get in

Surely you're not saying that your loft is airtight?
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 11th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 5,160 Posts
    • 6,412 Thanks
    theoretica
    If these are indeed small nests in an accessible loft are they really worth the discussion? A few pounds for a can of poison is all it need cost.

https://www.fixmyroof.co.uk/best-wasp-killer/
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • ognum
    • By ognum 11th May 18, 8:46 PM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    ognum
    I am a LL and I paid to have a wasp nest removed, £50, happy to pay to maintain goodwill even if not my responsibility.

Not a big deal, just get it sorted!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th May 18, 9:07 PM
    • 44,114 Posts
    • 52,304 Thanks
    G_M
    It is not a structural defect. Wasps will get in through tiny gaps in a roof void, and such gaps are essential to maintain airflow and prevent damp.

As there is no defect, the LL is not responsible legally.

Whether you choose to deal with the wasps in the interests of keeping good tenants happy is a commercial decision.

Though as others have said: if te wasps are in an attic and the attic not used, then they will harm no one. Come autumn, they will all die off - except the queen who hibernates and builds a new nest the next year. Often somewhere completely different.
    • claire111
    • By claire111 11th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    claire111
    Thank you for all your opinions - as always very helpful
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 12th May 18, 5:00 AM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 2,158 Thanks
    badmemory
    My loft does have airflow. Strange the wasps didn't use it once the hole in the fascia was sealed!
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 12th May 18, 10:44 AM
    • 16,686 Posts
    • 41,275 Thanks
    FBaby
    My loft does have airflow. Strange the wasps didn't use it once the hole in the fascia was sealed!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Well I lived in my property for 5 years before the wasps appeared, and without doing anything at all, they haven't re-appeared for 10 years, so natural phenomenon I would say rather than your actions!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th May 18, 11:46 AM
    • 29,256 Posts
    • 74,720 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Each queen wasp makes up her own mind where she will start her nest - one may like a particular place and most others may not.

Most queens will avoid a place where an old nest is.
    • Ted Bloke
    • By Ted Bloke 12th May 18, 2:00 PM
    • 20,234 Posts
    • 21,718 Thanks
    Ted Bloke
    If you yourself pay someone professional to do it you have control over how it's done (plus maybe an excuse to visit the property if you have any other concerns). I mean one effective way to remove wasps' nests involves a lighted newpqaper but you may not be happy about that in your loft.
    Witch hunt saboteur. Sorry my posts so long - not time write shorter ones. A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel - “The very first step we must take is the acquisition of enough self-respect and self-confidence to say that we have met an enemy and that he is not us, but someone else.” De asini callidi nauseatum sum
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

196Posts Today

1,969Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin