Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 3,027Posts
    • 3,119Thanks
    LadyDee
    Bracknell to Honiton
    • 11th May 18, 9:10 AM
    Bracknell to Honiton 11th May 18 at 9:10 AM
    Hi, I'm travelling from Bracknell to Honiton tomorrow and am totally unfamiliar with the route.

I have to change at Reading and Basingstoke apparently and just wonder what the signage is like at those stations. I can well imagine wandering around trying to find which platform I need and miss my connections!

So if anybody is familiar with the route and could help with platform numbers or perhaps there might be a website that gives the information, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • DanielDeronda
    • By DanielDeronda 11th May 18, 10:10 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    DanielDeronda
    • 11th May 18, 10:10 AM
    Bracknell to Honiton
    • 11th May 18, 10:10 AM
    Hi

As you say there are 2 changes to get you from Bracknell to Honiton

1. BRACKNELL-READING: only 2 platforms, so take platform to Reading, around 25mins.

2. READING-BASINGSTOKE: much bigger train station, 15 platforms. If you get a stopping service (GWR), likely to be platform 2 (around 25mins), if it's a CrossCountry service, should be 7B or 8B (around 18mins), goes to Bournemouth.

3. BASINGSTOKE-HONITON: likely to be platform 2 from Basingstoke, hourly service to Exeter, takes just over 2hrs.

Total journey: around 3h30m.

Check nationtrail.co.uk for live departures on Saturday.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 11th May 18, 11:00 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    elverson
    • 11th May 18, 11:00 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:00 AM
    You can use the National Rail app to check the platforms at each station:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/84874.aspx

Reading has got lots of staff and digital signs - so ask if you're not sure
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th May 18, 1:29 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 11th May 18, 1:29 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:29 PM
    Many thanks to you both, with all that information if I get lost then I shouldn't be out on my own :-)
    • martindow
    • By martindow 11th May 18, 2:04 PM
    • 7,643 Posts
    • 4,355 Thanks
    martindow
    • 11th May 18, 2:04 PM
    • 11th May 18, 2:04 PM
    Just to add that if the Basingstoke train leaves from platform 2 at Reading (or platform 1, 3 or 7) the change is really easy. The Bracknell train will arrive in platform 4, 5 or 6 so you just continue going forwards along the platform - don't go up the escalator onto the bridge.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,524Posts Today

6,986Users online

Martin's Twitter