Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • meow5678
    • By meow5678 11th May 18, 7:35 AM
    • 149Posts
    • 300Thanks
    meow5678
    FTB - clear loan or save the extra pennies before AIP/DIP
    • 11th May 18, 7:35 AM
    FTB - clear loan or save the extra pennies before AIP/DIP 11th May 18 at 7:35 AM
    I think I know the answer to this but I'll put it to the learned group...

I've saved my target for my contribution to the deposit.

I have a personal loan (for a car) which I pay off monthly - 323/month, 5.5k remaining. Interest has already been paid up front and included in the installment amount. So I can't save anything paying it off early.

Before we go to discuss an AIP/DIP with a broker/bank etc, should I use the money I was saving (approx 1300/month) to:
    • Pay off the loan in total (this would take me about 3 months)
    • Put the money aside for furniture/moving costs etc.
    I'm not sure whether it will work in my favour to remove this monthly DD (it is the only significant outgoing I have) and therefore increase my disposable income.
    Or
    Continue paying off the loan for another 17 months as planned and demonstrate that I can pay back and stick to the loan terms (I read that paying loans off early does not have a positive effect on credit history/score etc).

Hope that makes sense!
    Thanks
    FTB
    Saving for my first deposit
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th May 18, 8:02 AM
    • 17,811 Posts
    • 9,603 Thanks
    ACG
    • 11th May 18, 8:02 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:02 AM
    It will depend on your income and the size of Mortgage you are after.

If your income is 50k and you want a 100k Mortgage it wont be a problem keeping the loan. If your income is 25k and you want a 100k Mortgage it probably will.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • meow5678
    • By meow5678 11th May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    meow5678
    • 11th May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:23 AM
    Thanks ACG,

my income is 45k, my BF's is around 30k (self employed for 2 years).

We have a deposit of 80k (saved + gifted) and want to borrow around 300k (but probably less in reality).
    LTV approx 80%?

Just getting into this, so it's all a bit hypothetical at present.

Thanks
    FTB
    Saving for my first deposit
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 17,811 Posts
    • 9,603 Thanks
    ACG
    • 11th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:42 AM
    I think there are lenders who will potentially do it, but I think there are also lenders where it may fail affordability.

I would personally say leave it where it is for the time being (assuming that is your preference) and then see what the broker/bank says on the affordability front when the time comes.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • GoingOn30
    • By GoingOn30 11th May 18, 8:52 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    GoingOn30
    • 11th May 18, 8:52 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:52 AM
    Great work saving such a robust deposit, but your affordability is pushing it if you want to borrow up to 300k.
    I would keep the money and save it for now, you can always pay off a chunk if the loan if at mortgage application a lender tells you they would prefer that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,191Posts Today

8,332Users online

Martin's Twitter