Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Atypica
    • By Atypica 11th May 18, 12:50 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Atypica
    Car Insurance NCB Uncertainty
    • #1
    • 11th May 18, 12:50 AM
    Car Insurance NCB Uncertainty 11th May 18 at 12:50 AM
    Hi everyone,

    About 2 years ago I had a minor accident in a car park. Reported everything to the insurance and a few days later they informed me the other driver was trying to claim on the policy so I submitted my evidence (in my opinion he was at fault) and they said they would work it out.

    A few months later having heard no information on the progress I emailed them asking for an update and they replied they were still processing it and would inform me of the outcome.

    About 3 more months passed and the policy came up for renewal. The insurer sent me my renewal and proof of no claims for that year. I rang them up asking again about the claim and they said it was again still in process and they would tell me the outcome when they knew. I asked them how this could affect the no claims they just gave me proof of and they said that could be withdrawn later if it was found against me but they would let me know.

    I found a cheaper quote elsewhere (telling them I had a claim with insurer A in progress) and used the NCB for them and they accepted it.

    It has now been a year since then and my renewal is coming up and Insurer B has sent me proof of NCB for this year.

    My question is do I now have 2 years NCB? Insurer A never wrote, called or emailed me in the past year to inform me of the outcome of the claim. Nor did they tell me if they were revoking the 1st years NCB or not.

    I am asking because I want to switch insurer again (Insurer C) and have no idea what to tell them. On paper, as far as I know I have 2 years NCB but what if they revoked it and never told me and 6 months down the line Insurer C claims I knew and cancels my policy or something?

    Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 11th May 18, 6:28 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 577 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • #2
    • 11th May 18, 6:28 AM
    • #2
    • 11th May 18, 6:28 AM
    What did insurer A say about the claim when you called them to ask?
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 11th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • #3
    • 11th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • #3
    • 11th May 18, 8:29 AM
    What does the proof of bonus issued by insurer B say about how many years you have. This is the evidence you present to your next insurer. What insurer A say a year on is no longer relevant to current quotes.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th May 18, 9:00 AM
    • 36,837 Posts
    • 20,973 Thanks
    Quentin
    • #4
    • 11th May 18, 9:00 AM
    • #4
    • 11th May 18, 9:00 AM
    There is always a possibility that a previous incident can result in a claim long after the event - there are 3 years allowed for damage claims and 6 for injury claims

    You disclose the incident as a no fault loss (which it is) and as already advised use the 2 years NCD your current insurer has given you
    • Atypica
    • By Atypica 11th May 18, 9:21 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Atypica
    • #5
    • 11th May 18, 9:21 AM
    • #5
    • 11th May 18, 9:21 AM
    The last time I called A (Just before switching to B) they told me that I could use the 1 year NCB for my new policy but to be aware of could be revoked when the claim was settled and that in that case I would have to tell B and that they may adjust my premium. They have not contacted me since and itís been around a year.

    Insurer B has given me my renewal which shows 2 years NCB

    Should I just Quentin says and if they donít contact me then I assume it was settled in my favour or would it be worth giving A a call now and ask for an update?

    Thanks for your replyís
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

  • RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

  • Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

  • Follow Martin