Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sheep1003
    • By sheep1003 11th May 18, 12:17 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    sheep1003
    Buyer saying eBay item is not authentic.
    • 11th May 18, 12:17 AM
    Buyer saying eBay item is not authentic. 11th May 18 at 12:17 AM
    Long time lurker. First time poster.

I sell on eBay occasionally when things start to gather dust, Iím a private seller.

I sold a few things a couple of months ago including 2 lots of toothbrush heads. One oral b lot and one packet of 4 sonicare brand new in packet. The buyer has now opened a case saying the following....

ďThese heads are not authentic they usually last at least 2-3 months I have already used two of them. Even after a few days use the brush shows major wear. These were not sold as replica heads, very misleading.Ē

Itís not a lot of money but Iím a little worried. Iím proud of my 100% feedback! Itís not in my nature to be dishonest and anything I sell is sold as honestly as I can.

I was a bit upset (Iím not saying the following for sympathy or as an excuse but I have some mental ill health which causes me to take things very personally!), as I was a bit upset I sent a message to the buyer saying that I bought them from a high street retailer years ago (obviously donít have the receipt) and if they could prove they were fake I would refund them.
    Did I do the wrong thing?
    What is likely to happen be the outcome if eBay step in?
    Is there anything I can do to assist the process?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 11th May 18, 12:23 AM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 3,016 Thanks
    Sharon87
    • 11th May 18, 12:23 AM
    • 11th May 18, 12:23 AM
    Well they bought them a couple months ago, they had plenty of time to make sure they were what they wanted. Has the seller already left feedback from months ago? They have passed the deadline for a return, so they are probably just crying 'fake' to get a refund - they probably bought the wrong heads for their toothbrush or something and now are trying to get their money back.

Don't always believe what buyers say. If they are genuine then obviously the fault is at Oral B's end if the heads didn't last that long.

You didn't do anything wrong, for all you knew they were genuine
    • sheep1003
    • By sheep1003 11th May 18, 12:30 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sheep1003
    • 11th May 18, 12:30 AM
    • 11th May 18, 12:30 AM
    Yes they have already left feedback saying they were pleased with the transaction.
    I feel a bit better about it now knowing that, thank you for suggesting that I hadn!!!8217;t thought to check.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 11th May 18, 1:23 AM
    • 749 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Dox
    • 11th May 18, 1:23 AM
    • 11th May 18, 1:23 AM
    You don't need mental health issues to take things personally. Just read the threads on this section of the website and you'll find plenty of sellers who take everything to heart, so telling someone to 'forget it' isn't much use - but it probably is quite a good aim, even if you don't manage it.
    • sheep1003
    • By sheep1003 11th May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sheep1003
    • 11th May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:17 PM
    Ebay have ruled in the buyers favour. How annoying. I have spoken to ebay customer service and the woman said itís up to me to prove that itís genuine not the buyer! For the amount of money that it was Iím not bothering to get it returned.
    First issue I have had as a seller and I now see why some sellers say itís mounted in the buyers favour.
    Thanks for your help.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 11th May 18, 7:27 PM
    • 16,164 Posts
    • 12,204 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 11th May 18, 7:27 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:27 PM
    Ebay have ruled in the buyers favour. How annoying. I have spoken to ebay customer service and the woman said it!!!8217;s up to me to prove that it!!!8217;s genuine not the buyer! For the amount of money that it was I!!!8217;m not bothering to get it returned.
    First issue I have had as a seller and I now see why some sellers say it!!!8217;s mounted in the buyers favour.
    Thanks for your help.
    Originally posted by sheep1003
    Strange. A few years ago I had the same issue and was told the exact opposite.
    Because otherwise surely everyone could claim goods are fake.
    Did you speak to Ebay on live chat by any chance?
    Last edited by hollydays; 11-05-2018 at 7:42 PM.
    • RoyaleMale
    • By RoyaleMale 12th May 18, 1:01 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RoyaleMale
    • 12th May 18, 1:01 PM
    • 12th May 18, 1:01 PM
    How long did you have toothbrush heads in storage.

As over time some plastic items can become brittle and deteriorate.

I had a plastic item that was never used but after 10 years it just snapped.
    • sheep1003
    • By sheep1003 12th May 18, 3:50 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sheep1003
    • 12th May 18, 3:50 PM
    • 12th May 18, 3:50 PM
    I spoke to eBay on the phone. She I thought was non very helpful.
    • sheep1003
    • By sheep1003 12th May 18, 3:51 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sheep1003
    • 12th May 18, 3:51 PM
    • 12th May 18, 3:51 PM
    How long did you have toothbrush heads in storage.

As over time some plastic items can become brittle and deteriorate.

I had a plastic item that was never used but after 10 years it just snapped.

I think it was the brush part she was talking about, not the plastic.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,608Users online

Martin's Twitter