Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • typeractive
    • By typeractive 11th May 18, 12:09 AM
    • 843Posts
    • 353Thanks
    typeractive
    0 WOW
    Room tax
    • 11th May 18, 12:09 AM
    0 WOW
    Room tax 11th May 18 at 12:09 AM
    Hi all,

Quick question - I'm looking at booking a hotel room in Vegas. On expedia in addition to the usual price I spotted in a smaller font "+310 USD due at hotel".

I've never seen this on a site before. Is this just on certain sites, such as expedia as a means to make it look like the price is more comparable to other holiday search sites, or is this (and I know I possibly sound silly here) a resort fee that you have to pay when you get to any hotel in Vegas, regardless where you booked the rooms from? i.e. if I book through another website will the hotel be handing me an additional bill when I'm checking in / out.

Thanks!
    "The future needs a big kiss"
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th May 18, 3:37 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 11th May 18, 3:37 AM
    • 11th May 18, 3:37 AM
    Vegas? Almost certainly a resort fee.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th May 18, 5:46 AM
    • 2,972 Posts
    • 3,844 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 11th May 18, 5:46 AM
    • 11th May 18, 5:46 AM
    Hi all,

Quick question - I'm looking at booking a hotel room in Vegas. On expedia in addition to the usual price I spotted in a smaller font "+310 USD due at hotel".

I've never seen this on a site before. Is this just on certain sites, such as expedia as a means to make it look like the price is more comparable to other holiday search sites, or is this (and I know I possibly sound silly here) a resort fee that you have to pay when you get to any hotel in Vegas, regardless where you booked the rooms from? i.e. if I book through another website will the hotel be handing me an additional bill when I'm checking in / out.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by typeractive
    It is getting common in Europe for local tourist taxes to be imposed that need to be paid direct to the hotel on arrival and can't be included in a package price you pay to a 3rd party for booking. Some of the Spanish islands spring to mind.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 11th May 18, 7:33 AM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Westin
    • 11th May 18, 7:33 AM
    • 11th May 18, 7:33 AM
    I would agree with PeacefulWaters, likely the resort fees.

Many OTAs will not include these resort fees because as you say it means their base price on price display returns will give a lower price. They know most people will be searching on #price#. Other OTAs and also some tour operators may include the resort fees in their prices. I know Virgin Holidays for example used to either include some resort fees at some hotels, or had negotiated no resort fee payable by their customers.

You really need to look carefully at the total prices for a true comparison because as you can see those resort fees in LAS can work out to be a hefty chunk of your total stay.
    Last edited by Westin; 11-05-2018 at 7:34 AM. Reason: Coding character errors still appearing
    • koalakoala
    • By koalakoala 11th May 18, 8:07 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    koalakoala
    • 11th May 18, 8:07 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:07 AM
    Look for a hotel without resort fees if you don't want to pay it.
    • bobbyhibs
    • By bobbyhibs 11th May 18, 10:23 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    bobbyhibs
    • 11th May 18, 10:23 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:23 AM
    hi

as others have said it looks like the resort fees.
    There is a vegas forum here on mse which may help you if you have questions n what .Plus on page 1 there is a load of info (resrot fees included)
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5769079

hope this helps
    • blindman
    • By blindman 11th May 18, 11:31 AM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 4,204 Thanks
    blindman
    • 11th May 18, 11:31 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:31 AM
    Hi all,

s this (and I know I possibly sound silly here) a resort fee that you have to pay when you get to any hotel in Vegas, regardless where you booked the rooms from? i.e. if I book through another website will the hotel be handing me an additional bill when I'm checking in / out.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by typeractive
    As others have said it is the Resort fee

This list show how much Vegas hotels charge for this scam.

Why are you booking through Expedia and not direct with the hotel?
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 11th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 5,170 Posts
    • 3,731 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 11th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:51 AM
    There are hotels without the fee, you just need to look although they don't always work out cheaper
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • maman
    • By maman 11th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 18,429 Posts
    • 109,999 Thanks
    maman
    • 11th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 11th May 18, 5:24 PM
    There was a similar discussion a few weeks back.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5829417

But as far as I know this applies to all hotels in a particular city or country. It's a locally based tourist tax.

If it's not listed for all the hotels in Las Vegas maybe some include it in the hotel but some ask for it separately.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 11th May 18, 7:22 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 3,213 Thanks
    stoneman
    And on top of the resort fee Vegas has put up the tourist tax on hotels now as well. It's been put up to help pay for the new Raiders stadium.

You would think Vegas is trying to lose vacationers, but then that's not who they are interested in.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 14th May 18, 9:03 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    It is getting common in Europe for local tourist taxes to be imposed that need to be paid direct to the hotel on arrival and can't be included in a package price you pay to a 3rd party for booking. Some of the Spanish islands spring to mind.
    Just returned from Mallorca - tourist tax in Balerics now Euro 3.30 per person per day, added to our hotel bill for payment on departure.

I heard it had doubled quite recently, not sure how accurate that statement is though.

I have a vague recollection that TUI mentioned this in the small print, however it came as a surprise to many guests.

We'd rather it was included upfront in the holiday price - but I can see the administrative issues which preclude that.

A significant extra, especially for a family holiday group.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 14th May 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5,825 Posts
    • 8,277 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Some places it has to be accounted for completely separately from the hotel invoice, and can only be done on arrival or departure.

A lot of folk also travel independently, or just roll up. So they wouldn't be able to pay upfront. Also, charging upfront could be tricky if the rates changed between the time of booking and a few months down the line when you arrived.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,621Posts Today

7,132Users online

Martin's Twitter