Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • calltobala
    • By calltobala 10th May 18, 10:57 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 4Thanks
    calltobala
    Renting - Deposit return issue- Agent changed during end of tenancy
    • 10th May 18, 10:57 PM
    Renting - Deposit return issue- Agent changed during end of tenancy 10th May 18 at 10:57 PM
    Hello All

During our tenancy period , Landlord moved from one Letting agents to another agents. So we paid last month rent to new agents and also gave end of tenancy notice before i paid the last month rent ( 35 days notice i gave actually )

Check out done - only minor to deduct slight amount for not 100% cleanliness 30.

Problem is
    1. They moved my deposit from mydeposits.co.uk to DPS custodial provider without notifying me. Now , after chasing up for more than 2 weeks i found out DPS cannot move my fund immediately, because they moved the fund recently and i have to wait for another 30 days.

I have notice on 25th march to end tenancy on 24th April. But they changed my deposits to another provider on 17th March. Why they move after i gave notice and i am suffering now to wait for 1 month. This happened due to poor transition from 1 agency to another purposely.

Questions:
    1. Can i ask them to pay me for waiting charges to agency. why i should wait for that long for error from landlord or agency

2. Water bill fault:

Last year, I ended up in paying 500 water bill due to unnoticeable (no noise of leak due to poor repair in past with plastic sheet wrap up) leak in toilet cistern and later i found out about this and landlord replace the seals in cistern to prevent constant leak of water from cistern tank to toilet.

This is a fault from landlord for using valuable parts for rented house. Am i right to ask landlord to share this cost for his fault nearly a year ago. I am thinking about this because i am not getting my deposit on time and they didnot bother about it. Not sure if its too late to ask or do i have any rights to ask.

Please let me know about your opinion on those 2 questions
Page 1
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 10th May 18, 11:02 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 10th May 18, 11:02 PM
    • 10th May 18, 11:02 PM
    Not the landlords responsibility to pay your water bill. You reported it and they fixed it.

If you had reported it sooner it sounds like it would have been fixed sooner.

I'm not sure how your agent would know when they moved the deposit on 17th March that you would give notice on 25th March?
    • calltobala
    • By calltobala 11th May 18, 5:36 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    calltobala
    • 11th May 18, 5:36 PM
    • 11th May 18, 5:36 PM
    Not the landlords responsibility to pay your water bill. You reported it and they fixed it.

If you had reported it sooner it sounds like it would have been fixed sooner.

I'm not sure how your agent would know when they moved the deposit on 17th March that you would give notice on 25th March?
    Originally posted by HampshireH
    Hello Hamphsire

Thanks for the advice. sorry got the date wrong for deposit, they moved it on 17th April and I gave notice in March. just 8 days before my check out they moved to another provider.

Please let me know what you think
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 11th May 18, 7:45 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 11th May 18, 7:45 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:45 PM
    I would assume that they had to move it as the last agent couldn't continue to be named as a point of contact (though I had assumed that this was always the landlords details). Therefore whether you had given notice or not was irrelevant because when you came to claim it they would need the current agent & 'LL details not the old ones.

If the process was going to cause delays I would have expected you to have been notified but sounds like it couldn't be helped as it has to be put into a scheme. This would have been dependant on the timing of the old scheme releasing funds for transfer

Have you spoken to the agent or your 'LL? It sounds like it's just one of those things albeit very frustrating.

DPS has no obvious info about this on their website to refer to

Your water bill is irrelevant though.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 45,894 Posts
    • 55,408 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 11th May 18, 9:21 PM
    Hello All

During our tenancy period , Landlord moved from one Letting agents to another agents. So we paid last month rent to new agents and also gave end of tenancy notice before i paid the last month rent ( 35 days notice i gave actually )

Check out done - only minor to deduct slight amount for not 100% cleanliness 30.
    I assume you agree this is fair? If so, agree the deduction. If not, contest it with your reasons.

Problem is
    1. They moved my deposit from mydeposits.co.uk to DPS custodial provider without notifying me.

Now , after chasing up for more than 2 weeks i found out DPS cannot move my fund immediately, because they moved the fund recently and i have to wait for another 30 days.
    Not your problem. Write to the LL asking for return of your deposit with 7 days of your letter. Head the letter "Letter Before Action'.

I have notice on 25th march to end tenancy on 24th April. But they changed my deposits to another provider on 17th March. Why they move after i gave notice and i am suffering now to wait for 1 month. This happened due to poor transition from 1 agency to another purposely.
    The agency switch is the LL's problem, not yours. Returning the deposit is the LL's obligation, so chase him!

Questions:
    1. Can i ask them to pay me for waiting charges to agency. why i should wait for that long for error from landlord or agency
    See above. Letter to landlord (copy to agent).

2. Water bill fault:

Last year, I ended up in paying 500 water bill due to unnoticeable (no noise of leak due to poor repair in past with plastic sheet wrap up) leak in toilet cistern and later i found out about this and landlord replace the seals in cistern to prevent constant leak of water from cistern tank to toilet.
    1) fault identified, reported and fixed. Sorted
    2) if water was leaking from the cistern to the toilet bowl it would be noticeable

This is a fault from landlord for using valuable parts for rented house.

Valuable parts are usually better than cheaper parts.....!

Am i right to ask landlord to share this cost for his fault nearly a year ago.
    Far too late now. Should have been raised at the time the fault was raised and fixed.

I am thinking about this because i am not getting my deposit on time

I thought they were just deducting 30? And tht is for an entirely separarate issue. Don't confuse the 2 issues.

and they didnot bother about it. Not sure if its too late to ask or do i have any rights to ask.
    Of course you can ask. Obvious response is "Why did you not ask at the time"?

Originally posted by calltobala
    .................................................. ...............................
    • RLCUNNII.S04386
    • By RLCUNNII.S04386 16th Jun 18, 8:41 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RLCUNNII.S04386
    • 16th Jun 18, 8:41 AM
    • 16th Jun 18, 8:41 AM
    Apologies I don't know how to start a new post. How long do the letting agents have to dispute return if deposit. We moved out 20th Jan, requested deposit be returned via dps, even issued a statutory declaration, they have now 5 months later disputed the deposit. Can they do this?
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 16th Jun 18, 8:53 AM
    • 5,700 Posts
    • 7,988 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 16th Jun 18, 8:53 AM
    • 16th Jun 18, 8:53 AM
    Go here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16
    Click on new thread box in blue
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,614Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter