Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Calfuray
    • By Calfuray 10th May 18, 10:23 PM
    • 992Posts
    • 5,920Thanks
    Calfuray
    DVLA - keeping revoked license as ID?
    • 10th May 18, 10:23 PM
    DVLA - keeping revoked license as ID? 10th May 18 at 10:23 PM
    Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place or if this seems like a silly question.

We recently wrote to the DVLA to report various medical conditions for my husband. His driving license has been revoked, which is exactly what we were expecting. We have no intentions of appealing, but were wondering, can he keep the old license just for ID or does it have to be returned?

Thanks in advance,
    Cal
Page 2
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 12th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    Robisere
    A revoked document, especially revoked as a government-issued document, cannot be legally used for any purpose. An expired document is different: it will carry proof of expiry, in the form of an expired date. What happens if a police officer has sight of the revoked licence, do you think?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 12th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 4,477 Thanks
    usefulmale
    A revoked document, especially revoked as a government-issued document, cannot be legally used for any purpose. An expired document is different: it will carry proof of expiry, in the form of an expired date. What happens if a police officer has sight of the revoked licence, do you think?
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Absolutely nothing unless the person the licence refers to is driving.
    Signature removed by ForumTeam again
    • iltisman
    • By iltisman 12th May 18, 5:45 PM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 2,698 Thanks
    iltisman
    I have licences for all sorts of things that are now invalid due to lack of current medical, currency etc but I could use them as ID.
    The only thing I won't keep are ID cards for airports, work etc as I feel that would be asking for trouble.
    It's only my cheerfulness that keeps me going
    • varghesejim
    • By varghesejim 12th May 18, 5:56 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    varghesejim
    Under what law?
    Originally posted by Andy L
    Identity documents act

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/40/crossheading/false-identity-documents-etc

Quoting section 6 below

6Possession of false identity documents etc without reasonable excuse
    (1)It is an offence for a person (“P”), without reasonable excuse, to have in P's possession or under P's control—
    (a)an identity document that is false,
    (b)an identity document that was improperly obtained,
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th May 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Identity documents act

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/40/crossheading/false-identity-documents-etc

Quoting section 6 below

(1)It is an offence for a person (“P”), without reasonable excuse, to have in P's possession or under P's control—
    Originally posted by varghesejim
    But it’s not false, it’s a genuine licence.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 12th May 18, 6:08 PM
    • 3,784 Posts
    • 4,467 Thanks
    Johno100
    Identity documents act

Quoting section 6 below

But it would neither be false or improperly obtained. Now if it said improperly retained......
    • varghesejim
    • By varghesejim 12th May 18, 6:44 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    varghesejim
    But it would neither be false or improperly obtained. Now if it said improperly retained......
    Originally posted by Johno100
    I agree it is open for interpretation. Arguably if the issuing authority cancels the document it is as good as false document when used as an id where dvla issued licence is expected?
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 12th May 18, 7:55 PM
    • 3,426 Posts
    • 4,318 Thanks
    Paradigm
    I agree it is open for interpretation. Arguably if the issuing authority cancels the document it is as good as false document when used as an id where dvla issued licence is expected?

They haven't cancelled "the document" they have revoked his entitlement to drive!
    The photocard is a totally separate issue & is valid for 10 years from date of issue.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th May 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    It’s still a genuine licence.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    Car 54
    Identity documents act

Quoting section 6 below

That is a selective quotation - the act requires "improper intention". Using it to prove a correct age or address would not be improper.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    That is a selective quotation - the act requires "improper intention". Using it to prove a correct age or address would not be improper.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    And it’s not a false document.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th May 18, 1:19 PM
    • 4,858 Posts
    • 3,642 Thanks
    sheramber
    https://www.gov.uk/giving-up-your-driving-licence

When you decide to stop driving or are advised by your doctor to stop you!!!8217;ll need to tell DVLA and send them your licence.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,458Posts Today

8,799Users online

Martin's Twitter