Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • John Diver
    • By John Diver 10th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 2Thanks
    John Diver
    Argos card took my credit rating down 4 years of trying to build it up for 5
    • 10th May 18, 9:45 PM
    Argos card took my credit rating down 4 years of trying to build it up for 5 10th May 18 at 9:45 PM
    Hey,

First off, this is my fault for not checking... but I didnt check because I was sure it was paid off in full.. Somehow I had 5 left on a bill and didnt see 2 letters until I got out of hospital.

5 is nothing, I was charged 12 or 13 twice within a few weeks but I'm more annoyed that my credit has gone down just because of this 5 - I have always paid well before it was time to pay any credit, normally the same day as I got the card to help with my credit rating because I didn't have anything before.

Is there anything I can do or just move on?

I paid the 30x bill today anyway.

Thanks for any help
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 16,804 Posts
    • 17,813 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:48 PM
    As long as you don't make a habit of it or are in the middle of a mortgage application, a couple of late payments won't be the end of the world.

It might be worth explaining and asking for some goodwill from Argos.

Ignore your credit score or rating. No one is seeing, using or caring about it.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 10th May 18, 9:51 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 3,974 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 10th May 18, 9:51 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:51 PM
    How many late markers have they put on your credit file?

They are obliged to report accurately the account activity and while not something you planned, is still an error on your part.

What I would add is don't take too much notice of your score, that will dip and rise with different types of activity and the late payments will become less effective the further in the past they go.

If you have any other store/credit cards maybe think about setting up a DD, if only for the min payment so this doesn't happen again if you are ill.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th May 18, 9:52 PM
    • 31,613 Posts
    • 19,948 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 10th May 18, 9:52 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:52 PM
    Hey,

First off, this is my fault for not checking... but I didnt check because I was sure it was paid off in full.. Somehow I had 5 left on a bill and didnt see 2 letters until I got out of hospital.

5 is nothing, I was charged 12 or 13 twice within a few weeks but I'm more annoyed that my credit has gone down just because of this 5 - I have always paid well before it was time to pay any credit, normally the same day as I got the card to help with my credit rating because I didn't have anything before.

Thanks for any help
    Originally posted by John Diver
    No harm in asking for the fees and defults be removed but they dont have to do either as its how you ran the account.

Why was a direct not setup ?
    If you had 1 did you cancel it too early ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 11th May 18, 1:43 PM
    • 3,515 Posts
    • 1,838 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 11th May 18, 1:43 PM
    • 11th May 18, 1:43 PM
    Hey,

Thanks for any help
    Originally posted by John Diver
    This could have easily been avoided if you had a dd instrument in place. As you say it was your fault and if anyone has knocked back your so called credit score its you and not Argos. Hopefully lesson learnt!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,707Posts Today

7,824Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin