Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Madina
    • By Madina 10th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Madina
    nhs psnalty charge
    • 10th May 18, 9:17 PM
    nhs psnalty charge 10th May 18 at 9:17 PM
    My husband is disabled and is receiving income related ESA and PIP. and i dont work as i look after my husband and receive Carers allowance. I was intending to fill in the HC1 form for free prescription however it states clearly that i do not need to fill it in as my husband is in receipt of the qualifying benefit. now i have been asked to pay a penalty charge for a prescription. i have contacted NHS and appealed against the decision and sent them my husbands benefit award but it has been refused because it is in his name and not mine and now i have been asked to pay the penalty by the 28/05/2018. We are in a very low income and i have now filled in the HC1 form to avoid further penalties. i would be grateful for any advice as i do not feel i did anything wrong ,
    thanks in advance
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 10th May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 36,282 Posts
    • 46,759 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 10th May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:55 PM
    Iv it states clearly that he doesmt have to pay why is he having tonpay a fine.

Tru appealing again on that ground but in his name
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Dixi
    • By Dixi 10th May 18, 10:17 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Dixi
    • 10th May 18, 10:17 PM
    • 10th May 18, 10:17 PM
    I was in exactly the same position as yourself and claimed prescriptions, dental and opticians and this never happened. I was concerned that it would and tried with no avail to get a letter from the DWP stating my derived entitlement. Fortunately, we had had the same dentists etc for many years and they never queried my entitlement. Maybe the DWP would provide you with proof. Good luck.
    • Madina
    • By Madina 10th May 18, 10:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Madina
    • 10th May 18, 10:36 PM
    • 10th May 18, 10:36 PM
    Thanks Dixi will try and get proof from DWP and appeal again
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 10th May 18, 10:37 PM
    My husband is disabled and is receiving income related ESA and PIP. and i dont work as i look after my husband and receive Carers allowance. I was intending to fill in the HC1 form for free prescription however it states clearly that i do not need to fill it in as my husband is in receipt of the qualifying benefit. now i have been asked to pay a penalty charge for a prescription. i have contacted NHS and appealed against the decision and sent them my husbands benefit award but it has been refused because it is in his name and not mine and now i have been asked to pay the penalty by the 28/05/2018. We are in a very low income and i have now filled in the HC1 form to avoid further penalties. i would be grateful for any advice as i do not feel i did anything wrong ,
    thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Madina
    Why aren't you claiming ESA as a couple? As you don't work you should be claiming as couple. Just because your husband gets free prescriptions doens't mean you will too because you're not claiming ESA as couple. Based on the ESA claim alone won't allow you free NHS treatment.
    Last edited by poppy12345; 10-05-2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: extra info
    • Madina
    • By Madina 10th May 18, 10:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Madina
    • 10th May 18, 10:45 PM
    • 10th May 18, 10:45 PM
    hi poppy we are claiming as a couple and my husband did declare me on the application form but the letters and communication come under his name
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th May 18, 6:17 AM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 11th May 18, 6:17 AM
    • 11th May 18, 6:17 AM
    hi poppy we are claiming as a couple and my husband did declare me on the application form but the letters and communication come under his name
    I would advice you to double check that you're claiming as a couple. He should be the main claimant, with you added. If you were added then you shouldn't have had the fine.

Which group is he in for ESA and how much per week does he receive? If we have this info then we'll be able to tell you if it's a joint claim.
    • Vickimichelle
    • By Vickimichelle 12th May 18, 1:45 AM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 6,313 Thanks
    Vickimichelle
    • 12th May 18, 1:45 AM
    • 12th May 18, 1:45 AM
    If you phone the DWP & explain they will send you out a letter with both names on.
    • wellynever
    • By wellynever 12th May 18, 5:31 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    wellynever
    • 12th May 18, 5:31 AM
    • 12th May 18, 5:31 AM
    If you phone the DWP & explain they will send you out a letter with both names on.
    Originally posted by Vickimichelle
    This is what you need to do each year, we do this as my partner is never mentioned in letters.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,378Posts Today

7,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin