Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dickibobboy
    • By dickibobboy 10th May 18, 8:57 PM
    • 932Posts
    • 311Thanks
    dickibobboy
    Possible Neighbour Dispute - Boundary Issue
    • 10th May 18, 8:57 PM
    Possible Neighbour Dispute - Boundary Issue 10th May 18 at 8:57 PM
    Good Evening.

We live on a main road with no parking at any time. Not a problem as we have an access road behind the houses where we all have parking at the rear of our gardens. The access road is also shared with another road running in parallel(ish) and they also have drives/garages available to them from this road/track.

On the access road in front of each driveway is an area to pull forward to be able to get on the driveways of each house, if this wasnít there it would be just a cars width road with no room to monuver onto our drives.

The garden/house opposite our drive has recently sold and the new neighbour had a moan (out of the blue i should add) and heíll be establishing the boundaries to his property which is fair enough.

Upon checking his title plan it does indeed show that the boundary goes right up to the acesss strip however at present itís further up so there was turning access to get into the garage he owns that is there. Itís not clearly marked in any way to ever show that the land was belonging to any property apart from it being at the end of his garden, the land there and the rest of the access road is just rough track.

If he was to now put up a fence right to the end of what is shown on his title plan it would then block access fully for parking on our drive way and very tricky access for my next door neighbour.

Iím all for marking out your land and making use out of it however weíve been here for the last 17 years with the way it is and from what i can see itís has been like that for many years before that.

We have legal cover on the home insurance so could make use of it if and when the time comes but does anyone think weíve got any argument at all to stop him fencing right to the end?
    Things that are free in life are great, well most of the time
Page 1
    • pc1271
    • By pc1271 10th May 18, 9:07 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    pc1271
    • 10th May 18, 9:07 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:07 PM
    I thought there was some rule about routes which have been in general use for a number of years become a right of way. I'd definitely try and get some legal advice so you're armed, citizen's advice or your insurance might be able to offer free legal advice.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th May 18, 10:00 PM
    • 8,492 Posts
    • 8,946 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th May 18, 10:00 PM
    • 10th May 18, 10:00 PM
    You haven't told us what your own titles say? Just because he owns the land doesn't mean you don't have a right to cross it.
    • dickibobboy
    • By dickibobboy 10th May 18, 10:28 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    dickibobboy
    • 10th May 18, 10:28 PM
    • 10th May 18, 10:28 PM
    Just had a read through our title plan and one of another property a few houses down and the title shows our access on the plan but does not mention anything regarding the access road or any ROW down there.

Technically he wouldn!!!8217;t be blocking us access to our garden or property but our access to have vehicles on there. We could drive right next to our garden but not have the ability to get on there.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th May 18, 12:03 AM
    • 26,126 Posts
    • 94,830 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th May 18, 12:03 AM
    • 11th May 18, 12:03 AM
    Just had a read through our title plan and one of another property a few houses down and the title shows our access on the plan but does not mention anything regarding the access road or any ROW down there.

Technically he wouldn!!!8217;t be blocking us access to our garden or property but our access to have vehicles on there. We could drive right next to our garden but not have the ability to get on there.
    Originally posted by dickibobboy
    The details about access won't be on the plan, they'll be in the title register:

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/search-the-register

However if people have been driving along the access track for 20+ years, they may also have created an easement by prescription which would prevent anyone from blocking it.
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th May 18, 12:07 AM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 7,215 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 11th May 18, 12:07 AM
    • 11th May 18, 12:07 AM
    We have a house in a private road. The owners of all the houses own the road to the middle at the width of their house. So the rectangular plot of the house includes the part of the road and pavement in front of the house. This doesn't give the owner of those houses the right to make their section of the road into a front garden and fence it off because others have a ROW over it.

If anyone further down your access road has access to their garage from this road that doesn't mean that they can only access if they drive down the bit that people on one side own. An access road can be owned by up to the middle by the people on each side of it but that doesn't mean they can fence that bit off.
    • dickibobboy
    • By dickibobboy 11th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 932 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    dickibobboy
    • 11th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:01 AM
    By the looks of it we could do with getting some legal stuff in without him knowing for if and when he does decide to put something up.

We've only been at the house since 2001 so not a fully 20 years & Google Earth only goes back to 2001 also.

Some neighbours have been here many years before us however the ones that do use the bit of land for the ability to turn into their own land are all under 20 years (but that doesn't mean the previous neighbours didn't use it for access).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,736Posts Today

8,727Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin