Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nina Peach
    • By Nina Peach 10th May 18, 8:46 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nina Peach
    Gym membership issues!
    • 10th May 18, 8:46 PM
    Gym membership issues! 10th May 18 at 8:46 PM
    Hi all

So I joined a gym in January 2018 but as most people do, very rarely go!

When I took out the membership, the gentleman who owns the gym told me it is a years membership but “not really” as I can cancel at any time and only need to give a months notice. I specifically took out the contract knowing, due to personal circumstances, I would only be using the membership for 6 months anyway.

Today I cancelled my direct debit and emailed the finance company to advise them of this. They emailed back stating that they won’t cancel the payments as I have 8 more months to pay. I advised them that the gym owner told me that it wasn’t a years contract and I could cancel any time! The finance company provided the letter which the gym owner filled in and I signed stating “11 monthly payments” - which I thought was right as he stated it was still a years contract that can easily be cancelled.

So... my question is, is there anything they can do LEGALLY to demand the payments from me? Am I going to get in any kind of trouble for not paying them?

Secondly, will this go against my credit rating at all by not paying?

Thirdly, do I have a leg to stand on in arguing with the gym owner for this? I did sign the contract however I was told I could cancel at any time! It’s my word against his really!

Help meee
Page 1
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 10th May 18, 9:12 PM
    • 5,123 Posts
    • 8,342 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 10th May 18, 9:12 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:12 PM
    So... my question is, is there anything they can do LEGALLY to demand the payments from me? Am I going to get in any kind of trouble for not paying them?
    Originally posted by Nina Peach
    Yes, they can take you to court to recover the missing payments.

Secondly, will this go against my credit rating at all by not paying?
    If you continue to refuse payment it could potentially lead to a CCJ which would destroy your credit rating. To give you an example I just signed a tenancy agreement and they refuse to rent to those with a CCJ unless you pay a years rent up front.

Thirdly, do I have a leg to stand on in arguing with the gym owner for this? I did sign the contract however I was told I could cancel at any time! It’s my word against his really!
    As you said it's his word against yours. Unless he's prepared to say those were the terms you agreed you're on shaky ground. Why did you sign a contract with different terms to what he stated?

I'd recommend speaking to the gym and coming to an agreement before it gets out of hand. Also be more careful what you sign in the future.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 12,289 Posts
    • 9,629 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    What exactly did you sign (you say both letter and contract in your post)? What terms does it state? Did you sign a finance agreement?

If there was no finance agreement then it can't affect your credit rating unless they:
    1) take you to court and
    2) win and
    3) you fail to pay within the allowed time (usually around a month).

If there was a finance agreement then even missing one payment can land you with a default on your file.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 11th May 18, 5:14 AM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 6,598 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 11th May 18, 5:14 AM
    • 11th May 18, 5:14 AM
    Have you actually spoken to the gym and tried to cancel? You say you cancelled the DD and spoke to the finance company but it is the gym that your contract is with so they are the ones you would need to inform of cancellation, even outside your initial contract period you can't just cancel the payment without properly cancelling your membership.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th May 18, 6:19 AM
    • 6,349 Posts
    • 6,222 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 11th May 18, 6:19 AM
    • 11th May 18, 6:19 AM
    Have you actually spoken to the gym and tried to cancel? You say you cancelled the DD and spoke to the finance company but it is the gym that your contract is with so they are the ones you would need to inform of cancellation, even outside your initial contract period you can't just cancel the payment without properly cancelling your membership.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    It's possible that the OP signed a finance agreement (contract) with the finance company.

Essentially taking out a loan from a finance company to pay the gym for a year's membership, and having to repay the loan with 11 or 12 monthly payments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

4,074Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin