Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kevswife
    • By Kevswife 10th May 18, 8:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kevswife
    3 Mobile Complaint
    • 10th May 18, 8:30 PM
    3 Mobile Complaint 10th May 18 at 8:30 PM
    Hi, does anyone have any experience of referring an unresolved complaint with 3 mobile to the ombudsman? I have effectively been overcharged around £300 for a combined device & data contract which ended in Jan 2017. I am subsequently aware that under the terms of the contract it was my responsibility to terminate it once the device was paid for after 2 years but I donít believe this was made clear when I took the contract out. I have been offered £50 by 3 to resolve the complaint or the alternative is that they refer it on my behalf to Ofcom. So my question is, should I accept the £50 or escalate with the prospect of getting higher compensation? Has anyone else with the same issue been successful?

Would appreciate some feedback, thank you
Page 1
    • ryan121
    • By ryan121 10th May 18, 9:32 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    ryan121
    • 10th May 18, 9:32 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:32 PM
    Take the £50 and be glad they're being nice enough to give you that. You have no case and you'd simply be wasting your time.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 10th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 7,891 Posts
    • 2,598 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 10th May 18, 9:48 PM
    Absolutely agree!

Maybe next time the OP will bother to read the t&c of a contract they agreed to. Three have been most generous.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 10th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    boliston
    The device is not "paid for" after 2 years as you own it outright from day 1 and are even free to sell it if you wish.

The contract might have a 2 year minimum term which is not the same.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 11th May 18, 7:56 AM
    • 9,354 Posts
    • 7,028 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 11th May 18, 7:56 AM
    • 11th May 18, 7:56 AM
    It was made clear, you just chose not to read what you were agreeing to.
    • Kevswife
    • By Kevswife 12th May 18, 10:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kevswife
    • 12th May 18, 10:20 AM
    • 12th May 18, 10:20 AM
    As a new member I am not allowed to post links but if you google there are tons of articles you that demonstrate clearly Iím only one of many, many people being overcharged. I hope my experience encourages everyone to check their contracts particularly those with 3, EE & Vodaphone. Iím furious about the way these companies treat their loyal customers but ultimately accept I should have been clear with the terms & conditions. I just hoped to get a response from someone who had taken this issue further. Thank you for your feed back.
    • PHK
    • By PHK 12th May 18, 10:41 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    PHK
    • 12th May 18, 10:41 AM
    • 12th May 18, 10:41 AM
    You will find a few people complaining, that's because they also didn't make sure they understood how contracts work. That doesn't mean there's a general overcharging issue because the majority who understand how they work don't complain.

When you do a simple Google search you'll find what you're searching for but you won't find a counter viewpoint to put the search results in context. eg You might find thousands of complaints but there are tens of millions of phone contracts.

If you argued that Ofcom should regulate so that when a contract with handset is taken out, the bill automatically reduces when the operator has recovered the handset subsidy then you might get more people agreeing with you.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th May 18, 10:51 AM
    • 7,891 Posts
    • 2,598 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 12th May 18, 10:51 AM
    • 12th May 18, 10:51 AM
    As a new member I am not allowed to post links but if you google there are tons of articles you that demonstrate clearly Iím only one of many, many people being overcharged. I hope my experience encourages everyone to check their contracts particularly those with 3, EE & Vodaphone. Iím furious about the way these companies treat their loyal customers but ultimately accept I should have been clear with the terms & conditions. I just hoped to get a response from someone who had taken this issue further. Thank you for your feed back.
    Originally posted by Kevswife
    That simply shows there are "many" people who, like you, don't bother to read and understand what they sign up to. None of them were "overcharged" - just as you weren't.

If you put as much time into simply understanding what you agree to when you agree to it then your blood pressure and perception would be rather different and you wouldn't be charging the innocent network with "overcharging".
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 12th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 8,182 Posts
    • 3,005 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 12th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:31 PM
    You have not explained why you happily paid out for 17 months of service when you didnt need to. If it was because they didnt tell you - why do you believe they should? It isnt a fixed term contract, but a minimum term.

Once you complete this you have completed your side of the bargain and you can leave. If you didnt tell them- thats your misunderstanding, not theirs.

The offer they made was reasonable - take it and move on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,494Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin