Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Margj63
    • By Margj63 10th May 18, 7:39 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Margj63
    Letting Agent - Inventory Check Fee Error
    • 10th May 18, 7:39 PM
    Letting Agent - Inventory Check Fee Error 10th May 18 at 7:39 PM
    My daughter has just moved out of a rented private property. She is still waiting for her deposit to be returned. It is well over 10 working days now.
    That is just one of the many issues she has had with the letting agent and landlord.

The letting agent was asking for 90 for an inventory check fee.
    On looking at her documents, my daughter, noted that the fees which she was charged for, including the rent, deposit etc, included an inventory fee of 60. 'Balance of monies owing - Total 1260'. This amount she duly paid on moving in.
    She emailed the letting agent this document, stating that she had already paid the inventory fee. They are saying she hasn't paid it, just dismissing the document. They asked her to check her bank statements. She checked her statements. Yes, she had paid the amount stated 1260 which included the inventory fee. After many emails, they told her she would have to pay just 60 inventory fee. The letting agent said according to their records the inventory fee was never paid. She paid a lump sum in full as stated on the document!
    After much stress, emails and head scratching, we checked the document again. Whoever did the calculations on the document, got their sums wrong - their subtraction sums, leaving a difference of 60!
    What i would like to know, is where does my daughter stand now. Does she still owe the 60 even though she paid in full the total amount in good faith that was asked of her? Is it the letting agents fault that they can't do their sums and they should admit they made a mistake and she owes nothing more?

Thank you
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 10th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 10th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:48 PM
    If it was a mistake then she should pay. She should have picked up on this when originally reading the paperwork.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 10th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 5,718 Posts
    • 5,383 Thanks
    anselld
    • 10th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:50 PM
    Arithmetic error can be corrected. She wont get something for nothing because of that.
    • Margj63
    • By Margj63 10th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Margj63
    • 10th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 10th May 18, 8:19 PM
    They were going to charge her 90 in the beginning. Then she would have been overcharged 30.

They have also tried to charge her for an extra days rent, which she didn't owe. They corrected this once then tried to charge her for it again. The letting agents are complete idiots. They have caused her undue stress over this and also for over a year trying to get a cooker sorted via the landlord. She left having never got a cooker sorted. They are also holding on to her deposit. She left the house in good condition. The landlord dilly dallying as usual about getting anything done.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 10th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 10th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 10th May 18, 8:35 PM
    10 days isn't very long to be waiting for the deposit to be returned.

When did your daughter contact the deposit protection company to claim her money back?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,102Posts Today

8,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin