Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milo48
    • By milo48 10th May 18, 6:57 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 5Thanks
    milo48
    Faulty jeans
    • 10th May 18, 6:57 PM
    Faulty jeans 10th May 18 at 6:57 PM
    Hi all,

I am after your advice please.

I bought some jeans at the end of December from a well known high street retailer, in store. I didnít try the jeans on in store but they were my normal size, 26 inch waist and 30 inch length.

When I went to wear them at home they seemed quite small but I put it down to me potentially having put on a bit of weight and didnít think much more of it. Because they were so tight though I have only wore them a couple of times.

Then at the weekend I thought I would compare them with the same style and size jeans that my sister has. When I did, I could see that my jeans were in fact at least an inch smaller both round the waist and the legs.

To me, this suggests that the jeans arenít as described (they are not the size they say they are) so are elegible for a refund. When I took them back to the store they said because I have worn them (albeit only a couple of times) and itís not a manufacturing fault, Iím not entitled to a refund.

Before I call customer services and wait 41 minutes(!!!) to speak to someone, I wanted your advice based on your experience.

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th May 18, 7:57 PM
    • 5,624 Posts
    • 11,820 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 10th May 18, 7:57 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:57 PM
    How many inches is the waist?

Honestly this far along you could have shrunk them...
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 10th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 10th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 10th May 18, 8:35 PM
    How do you know that your sisters pair is not oversized?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 10th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 10th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 10th May 18, 11:14 PM
    No chance. You could have tried them on in the store or at any time in the last five months.

Have you actually measured them to see if they are 26 inches in the waist, or have you just compared them to another arbitrary pair of jeans?
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • milo48
    • By milo48 11th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    milo48
    • 11th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 11th May 18, 5:00 PM
    I took them into store and measured them against a few pairs there which were all noticeably bigger. The store assistant agreed that my jeans were smaller but said it wasnít a manufacturing fault (which I disagree with as itís down to how they were made).

From what I have read if the item is returned within 6 months itís up to the retailer to prove it wasnít faulty when it was purchased, and the basis I was going on was that it was as described, so eligible for a refund.

Grateful for your input!
    • milo48
    • By milo48 11th May 18, 5:02 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    milo48
    • 11th May 18, 5:02 PM
    • 11th May 18, 5:02 PM
    *wasnít as described!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th May 18, 5:08 PM
    • 10,664 Posts
    • 8,903 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 11th May 18, 5:08 PM
    • 11th May 18, 5:08 PM
    Rather than measure them against other pairs of jeans, did you (or the store assistant) actually measure them with a tape measure?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 11th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 11th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:20 PM
    I took them into store and measured them against a few pairs there which were all noticeably bigger. The store assistant agreed that my jeans were smaller but said it wasnít a manufacturing fault (which I disagree with as itís down to how they were made).
    Originally posted by milo48
    But that's just measuring them against other arbitrary pairs of jeans. Measure them with a tape measure. They might very well be exactly the size they say they are, which would leave you with no case.

If you haven't got a tape measure, measure with string and measure the string on ruler lengths.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 12th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 4,878 Posts
    • 13,412 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    • 12th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:33 AM
    As most women will tell you, clothing size labels are completely arbitrary, they often bear no relation to the itemís actual size. In my wardrobe, I have items ranging from size 6 to size 12.....all of which fit me perfectly well.

I have two pairs of jeans, bought from the same range, in the same shop (New Look) on the same day. Both are labelled as size 8. The blue pair are very snug, but the black pair are much bigger, I have to wear them with a belt to stop them from falling down!

Always, always try clothes on, if they donít fit, get a bigger/smaller size. The labels mean nothing!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin