Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 10th May 18, 6:53 PM
    • 5,213Posts
    • 169,048Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    Holiday pay when working in a school
    • 10th May 18, 6:53 PM
    Holiday pay when working in a school 10th May 18 at 6:53 PM
    Hi there,

I am currently job hunting and looking for non-teaching jobs in my local schools.

Does anyone know if you get paid for the holidays, as I appreciate most state schools get 13 weeks off a year?

Thanks in advance.
    Weight on 01/08/15 - 17st 5lb
    Target weight - 10st
    Target reached - 20/05/17

Greatest Loser for SW group 2016, 2017 & 2018
    Woman of the year for SW group 2016 & 2017
Page 1
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 10th May 18, 7:00 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 10th May 18, 7:00 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:00 PM
    As a full-time member of school staff, you'd expect to be paid an annual salary paid on a monthly basis - same as most other jobs.

Have you actually found anything with a start date any earlier than September? I'd have thought that with only two months of the school year left, they'd probably cover any staff requirements with supply staff...
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 10th May 18, 7:05 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 4,657 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 10th May 18, 7:05 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:05 PM
    As a full-time member of school staff, you'd expect to be paid an annual salary paid on a monthly basis - same as most other jobs.

Have you actually found anything with a start date any earlier than September? I'd have thought that with only two months of the school year left, they'd probably cover any staff requirements with supply staff...
    Originally posted by Ja7188
    This is not true, even if the job is full time hours in term time it will only be for 39 weeks of the year plus holiday pay, schools usually average the pay out for this over 12 months.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 10th May 18, 7:09 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 10th May 18, 7:09 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:09 PM
    This is not true, even if the job is full time hours in term time it will only be for 39 weeks of the year plus holiday pay, schools usually average the pay out for this over 12 months.
    Really? My ex used to have contracts which simply included an annual salary with the (obvious) expectation that she would take any time off during school holidays.
    • sew what
    • By sew what 10th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    sew what
    • 10th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:15 PM
    Are the jobs advertised as term- time only or full time? Most support jobs are term time only or term time plus 5 ie including training days. You get 13 weeks holidays a year, but your actual salary is calculated pro rata taking into account the "normal" 22 days holiday pay and Bank holidays. Term time plus five days is about 85% of the full time equivalent salary, this is paid equally over 12 months.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    They average out the salary over 12 months like most employers.

Only difference is that your annual leave is on set dates rather than being able to choose it.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 11th May 18, 10:12 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    andydownes123
    • 11th May 18, 10:12 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:12 AM
    Are you academic or support staff?

In our place, academic staff have a salary for the year and are paid the same every month.

Support staff are term-time-only do not get paid any holiday periods. They get paid the same every month for 12 months, just like us, however it's lower to reflect the missing months.

All depends on your school really and job you do.
    • StaffieTerrier
    • By StaffieTerrier 11th May 18, 12:59 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    StaffieTerrier
    • 11th May 18, 12:59 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:59 PM
    I used to work in a school on a term time only contract. I worked 39 weeks but got paid for 42 weeks, to include holidays. The pay was split over 12 months.

You need to check carefully when applying as most schools have a mix of term-time only and full time staff.
    Last edited by StaffieTerrier; 14-05-2018 at 8:24 AM. Reason: Correction
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th May 18, 8:19 AM
    • 32,035 Posts
    • 19,223 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 14th May 18, 8:19 AM
    • 14th May 18, 8:19 AM
    Are you academic or support staff?

In our place, academic staff have a salary for the year and are paid the same every month.

Support staff are term-time-only do not get paid any holiday periods. They get paid the same every month for 12 months, just like us, however it's lower to reflect the missing months.

All depends on your school really and job you do.
    Originally posted by andydownes123
    Holiday pay is a legal requirement it cannot be excluded.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 14th May 18, 12:13 PM
    • 5,623 Posts
    • 11,817 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    They are paid holiday pay.

For example if my salary is 20k its not '20k plus 5 weeks holiday pay'

Support staff salary is say 15k. That is usually split so they get a payment each month. That also includes the holiday pay. They just get more time off than they are paid for. Its technically the same for academic staff too. The holidays arent paid, their salary is split over the 12 months.
    • StaffieTerrier
    • By StaffieTerrier 14th May 18, 12:19 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    StaffieTerrier
    They are paid holiday pay.

For example if my salary is 20k its not '20k plus 5 weeks holiday pay'

Support staff salary is say 15k. That is usually split so they get a payment each month. That also includes the holiday pay. They just get more time off than they are paid for. Its technically the same for academic staff too. The holidays arent paid, their salary is split over the 12 months.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    I was paid for more time than I worked to build in holidays. I worked 39 weeks and got paid for 42. The 42 weeks pay was then split over 12 months. It works out that you're paid for part of the time you're off, as you're not allowed to take holiday during term time but you're still legally entitled to holiday pay.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 14th May 18, 4:06 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Originally posted by getmore4less

Yes that's factored in, still less in total though.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 14th May 18, 4:13 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Originally posted by sammyjammy
    That just isnt true. Site managers, receptionists, cleaners.... they all work different hours and are entitled to the statutory minimum or whatever their own contract says.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 32,035 Posts
    • 19,223 Thanks
    getmore4less
    You can't just say the pay includes holiday pay.

I needs to be documented how.

It is really important to understand that there are two components to pay working pay and holiday pay.

"normal" workers get paid for 52 weeks worth with work pay and holiday pay together,

Most(if not all) term time workers even salaried still get pay based on a combination of work pay and holiday pay but it will be less than 52 weeks worth total even if it gets paid over 52 weeks.

There will be exceptions where some staff are on real 52 week contracts .

This is really important to know how much is paid work and how much is holiday pay to get pro rata correct and for start and end dates to make sure you get the right pay when the pay s spread over 12 months.

extreme example if your holiday pay year is start of school year Sept and you start then and leave at end of summer term not working the summer holidays you are due a full years pay but could only get paid for 10.5(ish)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,499Posts Today

8,996Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin