Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zak33_33
    • By zak33_33 10th May 18, 6:49 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    zak33_33
    Silver key nightmare
    • 10th May 18, 6:49 PM
    Silver key nightmare 10th May 18 at 6:49 PM
    I’ve recently moved into a new apartment. Over the last few days I have been trying to sort out internet with multiple providers, and been told there is no line to my apartment.

I know that there is a line because the landlord has confirmed he had internet and phone when he lived there, and the tenants before us had internet. The Openreach master socket is also in the hall.

There are eight apartments in my building and when I put the postcode and building number into a checker, my number is the only one not to appear.

When I check their addresses they are able to get BT Infinity for example but BT will only offer me Broadband and a phone line so they can “test” the line. They also want to charge me a line installiation charge.

It seems impossible to be able to contact Openreach directly, and my address shows correctly on the post office check.

I was hoping to avail of the cashback and the prepaid master card offer at them minute, but am a unable to until BT recognise I have a line.

If anyone has been in this situation before and can shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th May 18, 9:26 PM
    • 8,048 Posts
    • 8,894 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 10th May 18, 9:26 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:26 PM
    Plug a phone into the Openreach socket and, if you get a dial tone, dial 17070

This will probably read back the number currently allocated to the line. Try putting that into a broadband application checker.

Also try checking your address at the Royal Mail Postcode Finder, just in case you have a different postcode from the rest of the building!!
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • zak33_33
    • By zak33_33 10th May 18, 10:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zak33_33
    • 10th May 18, 10:16 PM
    • 10th May 18, 10:16 PM
    Thanks for your reply.

Shortly after posting this I ran over to Argos to buy a cheap phone to test the line.

I get a dial tone, and when I ring 17070, it reads back a number.

I have this to BT and they said it was a number from an old closed account and was probably allocated to my line. The old bt account previously on that number was a different address.

Tried ringing 150 (read it somewhere) to no avail.

Royal Mail has my address correct.

From what I can gather I!!!8217;m just going to have to pay a connection fee and lose out on the cashback deal.

Unless anyone has any other advice?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,107Posts Today

6,542Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin