Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Daniellechis
    • By Daniellechis 10th May 18, 5:39 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Daniellechis
    Become a nurse
    • 10th May 18, 5:39 PM
    Become a nurse 10th May 18 at 5:39 PM
    Hi all i have little qualifications and looking to become a nurse and later on do midwifery? Maybe haven't fully decided just wanted to train to become a nurse as yet! i am 25 years young have my amazing partner and two children now looking at starting my career off. I have applied for life science access course to help me get qualifications that i need and help me learn more about biology etc then hoping to do access to nursing at college then off to university !!!128513; sounds simple enough !!!128514; am i doing this right am i going in the right direction i have little grades thinking standard grades am not sure as struggle to understand the qualifications ?? Anyonw that has stories what to expect best way to study best books best courses etc Any help would be amazing thank you.
Page 1
    • milliemonster
    • By milliemonster 10th May 18, 5:47 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 6,254 Thanks
    milliemonster
    • 10th May 18, 5:47 PM
    • 10th May 18, 5:47 PM
    I am a nurse and have been for 22 years, first thing I would ask is why do you want to be a nurse? and do you want to be a nurse or a midwife? you don't need to be a nurse to be a midwife as the courses are separate.

Also how do you think you would cope with working full time shifts (including nights, weekends and bank holidays) alongside studying, all while getting into a fair bit of debt with a family?

I'm not trying to put you off, just suggesting you need to be realistic about the committment it takes these days, I did my training when I was young, single and with no committments, it's long hours plus a very demanding uni course to balance.

Have you spoken to your local university to see what qualifications they expect you to have to access the degree?
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 10th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 10th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 10th May 18, 6:29 PM
    Could you work as a health care assistant for a while just to ensure you really do want to be a nurse?
    I'd probably look at the uni you wish to attend and see what the entry requirements are and then work backwards.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 10th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 10th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:48 PM
    Id second firefly - look into healthcare assistant roles in hospitals/ support work in the community first - do that for a year and see what you think as it gives you an insight plus looks good when your applying to your courses as you can say 'I've done xyz and its cemented my plans of becoming a ...' Without having the cost and you could still do the rest just a year later. Inbetween you could do English and maths GCSEs at night school as you will more than likely need them (I'm sure you do as a friend of mine had to do one of them several times before she could get on the course)

Good luck!
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2nd -> target 11 st 7lbs
    2) to find new challenges
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 10th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 6,478 Posts
    • 11,662 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 10th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 10th May 18, 8:56 PM
    If the OP has standard grades she's in Scotland so she won't be able to do GCSE anything. Adults can't do standard grades in Scotland so an access course is the best thing to do.

OP if you don't have a 3 in maths and English you can do those for free through your local college adult education programmes but they're called national certificates now.

Definitely try to get a job in care, either in a hospital (google NHS Scotland SHOW and look up jobs for healthcare support worker) or in a care home. The advantage of this is they will probably put you through an SVQ in healthcare which will cut down how long you need to spend in college and you might learn skills like how to take blood pressures or even take blood depending on what type of job you do (different wards need different skills).
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • CheBee
    • By CheBee 14th May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    CheBee
    • 14th May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 14th May 18, 8:59 PM
    Working as a healthcare assistant sounds good as you can get a feel of the wards or whatever clinical setting one is based in but still do find out how to get your foot on the ladder (qualification wise).
    I qualified with a diploma then went on to top it up to a BSc over the years.

Good luck.
    Single, FTB --Back on the property hunt! -- 'Save 12k in 2018' -- Total Saved: 1.5k/8k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,604Posts Today

8,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin