Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pring
    • By Pring 10th May 18, 5:17 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 13Thanks
    Pring
    When in Process to Borrow for Building Work on Home
    • 10th May 18, 5:17 PM
    When in Process to Borrow for Building Work on Home 10th May 18 at 5:17 PM
    We have an architect working on plans for a kitchen/loft extension to the house. They're working to a ballpark figure of which we know we can afford about 50% up front but would have to borrow the additional 50%. The best route for doing that seems to be Additional Mortgage Borrowing from our existing lender.

I'm struggling to decide when the best point to start the process with the lender is though. Online affordability calculations seem OK, but do we need an Agreement In Principle?

Do we need to have quotes from builders or quantity surveyor to show the bank to get that? If we decide to engage a builder but they can't start for 6 months then should we borrow the funds immediately so that we definitely have them in hand, and incur six months of mortgage payments, or wait until closer to the time and apply then?

Would appreciate input from anyone who's done this before! Thanks!
Page 1
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 10th May 18, 9:16 PM
    • 10,469 Posts
    • 4,134 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 10th May 18, 9:16 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:16 PM
    Options are, get the funds now, draw down and pay the interest.

Get the offer now and draw down when you need them.

Get an offset deal, draw down, and offset funds until needed.

The option you don!!!8217;t want is apply when work has started and the house has been taken apart.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 10th May 18, 9:19 PM
    • 10,469 Posts
    • 4,134 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 10th May 18, 9:19 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:19 PM
    Options are, get the funds now, draw down and pay the interest.

Get the offer now and draw down when you need them.

Get an offset deal, draw down, and offset funds until needed.

The option you donít want is apply when work has started and the house has been taken apart. We had a client a couple of years ago who came to us for remortgage on home improvements. When the valuer turned up, the kitchen was in the back garden and no funds were forth coming.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,666Posts Today

5,456Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin