Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grezz24
    • By Grezz24 10th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 187Posts
    • 222Thanks
    Grezz24
    Negotiate on New Build
    • 10th May 18, 4:32 PM
    Negotiate on New Build 10th May 18 at 4:32 PM
    Im new to the world of buying a house, and myself and my wife are looking to buy a new build.

Example we are looking at a £238,998 house. 4 bed, detached with built in garage (pretty sure its freehold but this is just an example of what we saw - we wouldnt buy leasehold)

What experiences have people gotten with negotiating on cost / added extras etc?

Ive read a lot online how you should always negotiate with a new build home, and that you can often get the price reduced? (and get extra furnishings etc etc)

Anyone got any examples of suggestions for us going about this?
Page 1
    • Grezz24
    • By Grezz24 11th May 18, 3:19 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Grezz24
    • 11th May 18, 3:19 PM
    • 11th May 18, 3:19 PM
    Replying to move back to top of forum in the hopes of some advice
    • sammcmillan
    • By sammcmillan 11th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sammcmillan
    • 11th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:14 PM
    We've just exchanged on a new build - but might not be the best example for you as we agreed to our builders part exchange scheme and then talked the builders up from the initial offer they made on our current home. This meant that we didn't get a deal on the price of the new build but did get market value for our existing house. We also negotiated approx £10,000 worth of upgrades - however I appreciate the upgrades wouldn't actually have cost us £10,000 - they were just things we wanted and easier to have sorted before we actually complete.
    We are happy with the deal that we were given and, if you have been reading other posts on this forum, you will know that you should not wait to think you will do a deal when you have your options meeting as the deal needs to be struck when you make the reservation.
    Hope this helps and good luck !!
    • luis1988
    • By luis1988 12th May 18, 1:26 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    luis1988
    • 12th May 18, 1:26 AM
    • 12th May 18, 1:26 AM
    2 years ago we bought our 3 bed end of terrace new build.

It was listed at £327,000, problem was our H2B and affordability would only go as high as £279,000. I was honest with the sales rep and she said to leave it with her and she will get back to me (fully expected to never hear from her again). The next day we had agreed £279,000 as well as incentives to cover stamp duty and some of the extras thrown in!

Even now the offer seems too good to be true, especially once we moved in and found out we had paid at least £10,000 less than everyone else in the same house style and even paid £20,000 less than one of the two bed houses!

For context, we are about to list the house at £325,000 and similar new builds in the area are now being listed at £350,000+
    • FloweryCurtains
    • By FloweryCurtains 12th May 18, 6:18 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    FloweryCurtains
    • 12th May 18, 6:18 AM
    • 12th May 18, 6:18 AM
    We’re just getting to the end of the process, due to be moving in 6 weeks.

There are so many factors that affect how much they will negotiate with you. To list just a few: National builder or local; using help to buy or part exchange; off plan or already built; beginning of development or coming to the end; how easily they are selling; when the end of the financial year is, etc etc...

We were buying one of the biggest properties on a small development with a local builder. We knew there wouldn’t be that many people looking at them because of the price, they were coming towards the end of the development and starting to advertise their next one and we had sold our house and in rented so we wee chain free.

We got a discount on the price (£10,000), a contribution towards stamp duty, all flooring and an upgrade to kitchen and tiling. Lots of things like turf are already included.

Who knows whether we got a good deal but we’re happy with the price of the house from a quality builder and we know it will be ready to move into rather than having to get things done before we can move in.
    • dhokes
    • By dhokes 12th May 18, 4:58 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    dhokes
    • 12th May 18, 4:58 PM
    • 12th May 18, 4:58 PM
    It usually depends on the demand at developments.

The only incentive I received from Jelson Homes was that they offered to pay stamp duty (before the recent change for FTBs). Carpets were included in the sale price and I didn't want them in certain rooms but they didn't offer a discount. Also, I wanted the rooms painted white instead of the standard magnolia but I had to pay extra for that.
    • crystalpinks
    • By crystalpinks 13th May 18, 8:04 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    crystalpinks
    • 13th May 18, 8:04 PM
    • 13th May 18, 8:04 PM
    Totally depends on the development you!!!8217;re buying at.
    Our is incredibly popular, the 3 beds are in huge demand, all selling off plan immediately - so barely any room for negotiation!
    They offered us legal fees covered IF we used their solicitor (which obviously we said no too!)
    We managed to get upstairs carpets thrown in but that was it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,733Users online

Martin's Twitter