Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vigman
    • By vigman 10th May 18, 4:08 PM
    • 1,269Posts
    • 297Thanks
    vigman
    S&S ISA question
    • 10th May 18, 4:08 PM
    S&S ISA question 10th May 18 at 4:08 PM
    Hi

Are there any circumstances where it would be sensible to continually draw off the profit on an S&S ISA back to the original investment?

My small Vanguard investment is now 70 up on the 5k investment and having seen it dip to around 100 below investment wondered whether it would be a good idea to draw off profit when it occurs back to the 5k, especially as there are no charges for selling?

Is this a known practice or am I just going mad(der)!?

TIA

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
Page 1
    • El Torro
    • By El Torro 10th May 18, 4:24 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    El Torro
    • 10th May 18, 4:24 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:24 PM
    It's an unusual thing to do. One of the advantages of investing in shares is compounding your gains, you won't be doing that if you skim off any gains you get as soon as you get them. There's a reason why it's said that you should invest for 5-10 years minimum.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th May 18, 4:25 PM
    • 8,393 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 10th May 18, 4:25 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:25 PM
    You're presumably investing on the basis that you'll see long term growth?

If you take profits in the short term then that'll reduce the long term growth, and you'd also need to consider where you'd be putting that withdrawn money that seems like a better bet than leaving it invested.

If you feel the need to crystallise small gains in that way then it casts doubt on whether your investment strategy matches your objectives and attitude to risk....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

167Posts Today

1,384Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin