Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sestren
    • By Sestren 10th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Sestren
    Will I be a first time buyer?
    • 10th May 18, 4:07 PM
    Will I be a first time buyer? 10th May 18 at 4:07 PM
    I've currently got a Help to Buy ISA, and I definitely fit the criteria for being a first time buyer.

However, shortly my business (of which I'm the sole director) will be moving premises, and I'll be signing a 7 year lease on new premises in my own name rather than that of the limited company. The lease is for an entire building, including a flat above the retail part in which I will live.

Seven years is long enough for my interest to need to be registered in the property. Does this registration mean that the lease will count as a purchase? I initially didn't think so, but then it also strikes me that there's no real difference between signing a relatively short term lease of seven years, and purchasing a, say, 125-year lease on a flat.

If anybody could offer some guidance then that would be great. It's not a huge issue in the scheme of things - just a minor annoyance because I'm hoping to actually buy a property at some point in the future.
Page 1
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 10th May 18, 7:34 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 10th May 18, 7:34 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:34 PM
    I've currently got a Help to Buy ISA, and I definitely fit the criteria for being a first time buyer.

However, shortly my business (of which I'm the sole director) will be moving premises, and I'll be signing a 7 year lease on new premises in my own name rather than that of the limited company. The lease is for an entire building, including a flat above the retail part in which I will live.

Seven years is long enough for my interest to need to be registered in the property. Does this registration mean that the lease will count as a purchase? I initially didn't think so, but then it also strikes me that there's no real difference between signing a relatively short term lease of seven years, and purchasing a, say, 125-year lease on a flat.

If anybody could offer some guidance then that would be great. It's not a huge issue in the scheme of things - just a minor annoyance because I'm hoping to actually buy a property at some point in the future.
    Originally posted by Sestren
    The stamp duty relief guidance refers to less than 21 years for a leasehold interest - so your 7 is below that. So I expect you would be ok for the first time buyer stamp duty relief. But you might want to check with your solicitor.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stamp-duty-land-tax-relief-for-first-time-buyers-guidance-note

'A purchase (for the purposes of FTB relief) is a purchase of a major interest if the interest acquired is a freehold or leasehold interest; for this purpose, an acquisition (whether by grant or transfer) of a lease with less than 21 years to expiry from the effective date, is not treated as a major interest.'

The HTB isa uses the same 21 year definition.

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/documents/2015/12/eligibility-of-ftbs.pdf

I do not own, and never have owned any interest in land, whether in the United Kingdom or elsewhere, which:
    (A) is:
    (i) in England or Wales:
    (a) freehold;
    (b) leasehold, where the lease was originally granted for a term certain exceeding 21 years; or
    (c) commonhold;'

Rules are slightly different in Scotland.
    Last edited by Rich2808; 10-05-2018 at 7:36 PM.
    • SDLT Geek
    • By SDLT Geek 10th May 18, 7:57 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    SDLT Geek
    • 10th May 18, 7:57 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:57 PM
    First time buyers!!!8217; relief is not available if the 3% surcharge applies. So consider those rules too if you are likely still to hold the lease when you buy a property.

Under Finance Act 2003 / Sch 4ZA a lease can be a !!!8220;major interest!!!8221; if the term on the date of its grant exceeds 7 years.

So if you want to preserve your first time buyers!!!8217; status for SDLT you will ensure that the lease is not granted for a term of more than 7 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

441Posts Today

5,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin