Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jlewsey15
    • By jlewsey15 10th May 18, 3:30 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 4Thanks
    jlewsey15
    Catalogue Balance to Credit Card
    • 10th May 18, 3:30 PM
    Catalogue Balance to Credit Card 10th May 18 at 3:30 PM
    I have a question for people with a lot more knowledge than me, plus when searching I get conflicting answers so need to be sure.
    Can I transfer a catalogue balance (i.e. Very, Jacamo, SimplyBe) to either:
      1. A 0% balance transfer card?
      2. A 0% purchase card?
      3. Or does it need to be a !!!8216;Money transfer card!!!8217; where I can transfer money off the card into my bank account to pay said balance?

Thank you in advance all.
    Last edited by jlewsey15; 10-05-2018 at 3:35 PM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th May 18, 3:34 PM
    • 18,650 Posts
    • 19,913 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th May 18, 3:34 PM
    • 10th May 18, 3:34 PM
    Can I transfer a catalogue balance (i.e. Very, Jacamo, SimplyBe etc etc)
    Originally posted by jlewsey15
    Those you've mentioned, I don't believe so. The etc etc ones might, as a minority will accept cards as a purchase.

For the others, you need a money transfer option.
    • jlewsey15
    • By jlewsey15 10th May 18, 3:35 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jlewsey15
    • 10th May 18, 3:35 PM
    • 10th May 18, 3:35 PM
    zx81 I have removed the etc etc for ease.
    Thank you
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 10th May 18, 6:40 PM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    Vortigern
    • 10th May 18, 6:40 PM
    • 10th May 18, 6:40 PM
    I have a question for people with a lot more knowledge than me, plus when searching I get conflicting answers so need to be sure.
    Can I transfer a catalogue balance (i.e. Very, Jacamo, SimplyBe) to either:
      1. A 0% balance transfer card?
      2. A 0% purchase card?
      3. Or does it need to be a !!!8216;Money transfer card!!!8217; where I can transfer money off the card into my bank account to pay said balance?
    Look at the terms of your catalogue accounts. Is it possible to pay your catalogue bill with a credit card? Simply by using the 16 digit card number on the catalogue website. I know I paid off a Very BNPL amount using a credit card and it was not treated as a cash transaction. Your mileage may vary, so check with the catalogue company.
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 11th May 18, 9:55 AM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    davethorp
    • 11th May 18, 9:55 AM
    • 11th May 18, 9:55 AM
    JD williams group (which includes Jacamo and SimplyBe) accept payments by credit card. Not sure about Shop Direct Group but I think they might do too and Vortigern seems to confirm this

I couldn't tell you if it would count as a purchase for a 0% purchases deal. Ultimately it would depend on if the transaction is treated as a purchase or a cash transaction. Given its possible to make purchases from both groups without putting it on their credit accounts I would guess it would count as a purchase but again mileage may vary.

Either way of all your options the one you want is b or possibly c

• 20aday
    • By 20aday 11th May 18, 12:30 PM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    20aday
    • 11th May 18, 12:30 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:30 PM
    Granted it was a few years ago but I paid off my BNPL plan with Very using a credit card (Halifax MasterCard) and it was treated as a purchase.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • jlewsey15
    • By jlewsey15 11th May 18, 12:34 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jlewsey15
    • 11th May 18, 12:34 PM
    Update
    • 11th May 18, 12:34 PM
    All

Very do accept credit card payments in their 'buy now pay later' scheme. SO would this mean it is treated as a cash transaction?

Getting an answer from them is proving difficult.

Thank you again.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 11th May 18, 2:53 PM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    20aday
    • 11th May 18, 2:53 PM
    • 11th May 18, 2:53 PM
    Out of interest who is your credit card provider OP?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • maxximus75
    • By maxximus75 11th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    maxximus75
    • 11th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:19 PM
    If you pay by credit card it will just show as a purchase so if you have 0% on purchases then you can pay the account off.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 11th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    Vortigern
    Very do accept credit card payments in their 'buy now pay later' scheme. SO would this mean it is treated as a cash transaction?
    Already answered in posts 4 and 6. It's not cash, it's a purchase.

If you're not sure, pay a small amount off your Very account with a credit card. Check your CC statement for any cash advance fee or interest on cash transaction. If there's none you're good to pay off the full amount with a 0% purchases card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,720Posts Today

7,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watch and all will be explained. It's about early prep not early celebration. To take the stress out of pre-chris? https://t.co/epBrfX8tli

• Just got on the train to Liverpool, as we're there for tonight's @itvMLshow live Christmas special (8pm ITV). Had? https://t.co/xLxH5N6GL2

• RT @CareQualityComm: While Martin's methodology is different to ours, and the rating terminology, it's interesting that the poll findings t?

• Follow Martin