Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Getorfmyhand
    • By Getorfmyhand 10th May 18, 3:21 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Getorfmyhand
    Help to buy bonus help, Scottish law
    • 10th May 18, 3:21 PM
    Help to buy bonus help, Scottish law 10th May 18 at 3:21 PM
    Good day, I was wondering if anyone could help resolve this sticky situation.

Me and my partner have closed our help to buy isa in hope of getting our bonus' and our solicitors are stuck.
    She was gifted by parents one of those Highland titles, which means she can apparently be called a Lady. This means apparently she has a plot about 1 square foot in Scotland. Our solicitors can't advise on Scottish law, so had anyone had anything like this stopping then getting there help to buy bonus?
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 7,655 Posts
    • 7,794 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:02 PM
    Heh - these things are pretty much just joke shop novelties, not real titles, and I think the HTB rules only refer to you owning other homes, so even a proper title to a bit of vacant ground wouldn't be a problem.
    • Getorfmyhand
    • By Getorfmyhand 10th May 18, 4:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Getorfmyhand
    • 10th May 18, 4:15 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:15 PM
    I do not own, and never have owned any interest in land, whether in the United Kingdom or elsewhere, which: is:
    in England or Wales:
    (a) freehold;
    (b) leasehold, where the lease was originally granted for a term certain exceeding 21 years; or (c) commonhold; or
    in Scotland, registered or recorded, or would be capable of being registered or recorded, as a right of absolute ownership in the Land Register of Scotland or General Register of Sasines in Scotland, as applicable; or
    in Northern Ireland:
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 10th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 12,114 Posts
    • 17,050 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 10th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:30 PM
    It's such a small plot of land that it's defined as a “souvenir plot”.

‘Souvenir’ plots of land have been sold in Scotland for over 30 years. The sale of these plots is governed by the Land Registration (Scotland) Act 1979, recently revised as the Land Registration etc. (Scotland) Act 2012. Please note that this act does not permit souvenir plots of land to be added to the Land Register.
    • Getorfmyhand
    • By Getorfmyhand 10th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Getorfmyhand
    • 10th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:55 PM
    So Legally it will not affect the help to buy isa scheme if it is a souvenir plot?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,711Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin