Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CrunchieMac
    • By CrunchieMac 10th May 18, 2:57 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CrunchieMac
    Final Bill from Extra Energy
    • 10th May 18, 2:57 PM
    Final Bill from Extra Energy 10th May 18 at 2:57 PM
    I switched energy suppliers in April (official date was the 24th) from Extra Energy to Bulb. Bulb requested a starting meter reading which they sent to Extra Energy to calculate my final bill.

I received the final bill from Extra Energy on Tuesday this week and it was 860. When I rung to query it they claim I entered a wrong meter reading over a year ago and this has screwed up the bills since. I regularly supplied meter readings and the mistake wasn't picked up (apparently my starting meter reading started with 29 and the following one was 25).

My account always appeared to be in credit and my direct debits increased a few times in the time we were with them. The last bill I got was in January this year which showed 161 in debit but this was wiped out by my direct debit taken off in February. My statements since then show me being 246 then 450 in credit for March and April.

I contacted Citizens Advice today who phoned Extra Energy in an attempt to solve the problem. The lady there told me that someone from Extra Energy would phone me within 15mins but that was around an hour ago and I still haven't received a phone call. Can anyone advise me on how best to sort this out?
    Last edited by CrunchieMac; 10-05-2018 at 3:11 PM.
Page 1
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 10th May 18, 3:03 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • 10th May 18, 3:03 PM
    • 10th May 18, 3:03 PM
    I switched energy suppliers in April (official date was the 24th) from Extra Energy to Bulb. Bulb requested a starting meter reading which they sent to Extra Energy to calculate my final bill.

I received the final bill from Extra Energy on Tuesday this week and it was 860. When I rung to query it they claim I entered a wrong meter reading over a year and this has screwed up the bills since. I regularly supplied meter readings and the mistake wasn't picked up (apparently my starting meter reading started with 29 and the following one was 25).

My account always appeared to be in credit and my direct debits increased a few times in the time we were with them. The last bill I got was in January this year which showed 161 in debit but this was wiped out by my direct debit taken off in February. My statements since then show me being 246 then 450 in credit for March and April.

I contacted Citizens Advice today who phoned Extra Energy in an attempt to solve the problem. The lady there told me that someone from Extra Energy would phone me within 15mins but that was around an hour ago and I still haven't received a phone call. Can anyone advise me on how best to sort this out?
    Originally posted by CrunchieMac
    I suggest you inform the CAB lady accordingly, and ask her to continue to help you further
    • CrunchieMac
    • By CrunchieMac 10th May 18, 3:10 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CrunchieMac
    • 10th May 18, 3:10 PM
    • 10th May 18, 3:10 PM
    Aye, I'll give them another half hour or so to ring and if they don't manage it I'll ring CAB again. I've had a wee look at the thread below regarding Extra energy....

...yikes!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 6,055 Posts
    • 3,732 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 10th May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:21 PM

I received the final bill from Extra Energy on Tuesday this week and it was 860. When I rung to query it they claim I entered a wrong meter reading over a year ago and this has screwed up the bills since. I regularly supplied meter readings and the mistake wasn't picked up (apparently my starting meter reading started with 29 and the following one was 25).

It is unclear to me what you are hoping for in the way of resolution?

On transfer to Bulb, they will have asked you for a meter reading. This goes to an independent industry partner for verification. Once verified, the reading is passed back to the two suppliers to open and close your accounts. The process is described here:

https://octopus.energy/blog/secret-life-opening-meter-reading/

Your Final Bill with EE will be based on this verified reading and calculated back to the last ACTUAL or CUSTOMER reading on the account. The fact that you may have provided an incorrect reading needs to be challenged as any actual meter reading after the erroneous reading would have immediately corrected the account.

As far as switching is concerned, If the verified meter reading differs from what is shown on your meter by more than the following amount/s:

1200kWhs (39 units for imperial, 109 units for metric) for gas

250kWhs for electricity

then the two suppliers can open what is known as an Agreed Readings Dispute.
    • CrunchieMac
    • By CrunchieMac 11th May 18, 6:43 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CrunchieMac
    • 11th May 18, 6:43 AM
    • 11th May 18, 6:43 AM
    I'm finding it a but hard to believe that I've managed to run up a bill of 750 in the space of 3 months so I'd like some clarification on how this final bill was calculated. Given they phoned me once to settle a debit of 1.90 after one of my previous bills was calculated I'm not sure why they wouldn't do the same for a bill of 750.

They also completely failed to phone me back yesterday so I'll be back on the phone to CAB today.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 11th May 18, 8:33 AM
    • 6,055 Posts
    • 3,732 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 11th May 18, 8:33 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:33 AM
    I'm finding it a but hard to believe that I've managed to run up a bill of 750 in the space of 3 months so I'd like some clarification on how this final bill was calculated. Given they phoned me once to settle a debit of 1.90 after one of my previous bills was calculated I'm not sure why they wouldn't do the same for a bill of 750.

They also completely failed to phone me back yesterday so I'll be back on the phone to CAB today.
    High Final Bills are usually down to nothing more than what is known as a 'catch up' bill where the previous bill was based on an incorrect estimate. Rather than wait for the CAB or the supplier, you need to look back through previous bills for a bill based on a reading with with either an 'A' or 'C' annotation. You can then calculate how much energy you have used up to the final meter reading. Any credit/debit balance shown on the bill with an 'A' or 'C" annotation is only valid for that day, but you can use it to add all payments made since that date minus the charges incurred to get the final amount due. Do not use an estimated bill with credit/debit balance based on a meter reading with an 'E" (estimated) reading as it is meaningless.

The 'bottomline' here is that there is only one person that can monitor your energy bill and that, I am afraid, is you. I use a 99p IOS App called meters to keep a watch on how much energy I am using. It is also a simple way of checking my energy bills.
    • CrunchieMac
    • By CrunchieMac 11th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CrunchieMac
    • 11th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 11th May 18, 9:09 AM
    We did provide EE with regular meter readings every 3 months and up until now our account was never in debit aside from small sums. According to them we provided a meter reading in February and January this year yet our direct debit wasn't increased then.

My previous bill is as follows:

November - January came to 634 which left me 161 in debit so in essence the bill was for 695. They increased my direct debit from 178-204 after this bill so this is what I've been paying from Feb-April.

Given we've not hugely increased our energy usage in the house (if anything we've been more conscious about wasting electricity) I'm highly sceptical of how this catch-up bill has been calculated. The last bill I had before the switch was issued in January, covered 3 months and came to 604 (an average of 200 a month). I then paid 612 in direct debits between February and May so from what I see they're suggesting I've used twice as much electricity and gas between February and May.

The fact they're being very evasive when I've tried to speak to someone is not exactly doing much for my confidence in this company either.
    Last edited by CrunchieMac; 11-05-2018 at 9:12 AM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 11th May 18, 9:18 AM
    • 6,055 Posts
    • 3,732 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 11th May 18, 9:18 AM
    • 11th May 18, 9:18 AM
    We did provide EE with regular meter readings every 3 months and up until now our account was never in debit aside from small sums. According to them we provided a meter reading in February and January this year yet our direct debit wasn't increased then.

My previous bill is as follows:

November - January came to 634 which left me 161 in debit so in essence the bill was for 695. They increased my direct debit from 178-204 after this bill so this is what I've been paying from Feb-April.

Given we've not hugely increased our energy usage in the house (if anything we've been more conscious about wasting electricity) I'm highly sceptical of how this catch-up bill has been calculated. The last bill I had before the switch was issued in January, covered 3 months and came to 604 (an average of 200 a month). I then paid 612 in direct debits between February and May so from what I see they're suggesting I've used twice as much electricity and gas between February and May.

The fact they're being very evasive when I've tried to speak to someone is not exactly doing much for my confidence in this company either.
    As I have said above, work it out for yourself. The supplier is not suggesting anything unless they are using estimated readings. It is a simple 5 minute exercise to check whether a final bill is correct. If the verified meter reading in the Final Bill is markedly different from what you provided to the gaining supplier, then ask the gaining supplier to start an Agreed Readings Dispute. The important thing to check is that the losing and gaining suppliers are using the same verified meter reading to close and open your accounts.

It is also worth pointing out that most suppliers have a 6 monthly review of DD payments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,863Posts Today

7,849Users online

Martin's Twitter