Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Car1980
    • By Car1980 10th May 18, 2:31 PM
    • 266Posts
    • 132Thanks
    Car1980
    Survey report
    • 10th May 18, 2:31 PM
    Survey report 10th May 18 at 2:31 PM
    A relative is buying a house and I said I'd post up the issues that have come up to get a second opinion. It was built in 1840.

• Lateral movement in the past related to the presence of tie bars running the full width of both front and rear elevations, passing through not only the rear roof void to the kitchen, but also the extension to the rear of next door.

• Loss of key and areas of damage and failure in the render of principle walls. Repair is required

• Principle fascia boards are in timber and considered to be suspect

• Fire stop ie. party walls between neighbouring properties are not fully built. Suggest minor works undertaken

• Ridge tiles acceptable, but pointing is failing. Tiles need to be lifted, cleaned and properly re-bedded. A number of damaged slates with tags suggest previous repairs have been required. Small areas of light penetration, but no leaks seen.

• No damp poof course but only localised areas of dampness within the living room, dining room and kitchen. Scope for creating gravel-filled back channels.
Page 1
    • SG27
    • By SG27 10th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    SG27
    • 10th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 10th May 18, 3:27 PM
    Looks good to me for an 1840s house! Just some maintenance to deal with as and when.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th May 18, 7:03 PM
    • 45,321 Posts
    • 54,322 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th May 18, 7:03 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:03 PM
    A relative is buying a house and I said I'd post up the issues that have come up to get a second opinion. It was built in 1840.

• Lateral movement in the past related to the presence of tie bars running the full width of both front and rear elevations, passing through not only the rear roof void to the kitchen, but also the extension to the rear of next door.
    Look like this has been sorted then. Not unusula in an old propertyy.
    May lead to higher insurance premiums though - get some quotes to find out!

• Loss of key and areas of damage and failure in the render of principle walls. Repair is required
    Render is a pain. This will need sorting so get a quote. It' not a problem but it is a cost to budget for.

• Principle fascia boards are in timber and considered to be suspect
    Fascias are basicaly cosmetic (OK - they serve a function but it's not a biggie).
    Wooden ones always need re-painting every few years and if ignored will rot. Then they need wood filler before re-painting, or replacing is the rot is serious. Either new wood ones or upvc (in a 19th C house......!!?)

• Fire stop ie. party walls between neighbouring properties are not fully built. Suggest minor works undertaken
    Very common. Up to you. You want 21st C standards? Buy a 21st C house!

• Ridge tiles acceptable, but pointing is failing. Tiles need to be lifted, cleaned and properly re-bedded. A number of damaged slates with tags suggest previous repairs have been required. Small areas of light penetration, but no leaks seen.
    Define 'failing'? Ask the surveyor or get a builder to uote. Ponting may be fine for years to come, or may need re-pointing urgently - though in that case I'd expect the report to have said so.

• No damp poof course but only localised areas of dampness within the living room, dining room and kitchen. Scope for creating gravel-filled back channels.
    Originally posted by Car1980
    I bet there IS a dpc. Slate. Invisible.

But the damp is clearly easy to resolve as described. Take you a weekend with a shovel.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,804Users online

Martin's Twitter