Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RedRuby
    • By RedRuby 10th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 98Posts
    • 70Thanks
    RedRuby
    Why aren't properties advertised with all the key facts?
    • 10th May 18, 2:28 PM
    Why aren't properties advertised with all the key facts? 10th May 18 at 2:28 PM
    After coming off of a sale falling through, I'm tentatively dipping my toe in the market again.

This time I'm much more wary when looking at properties online and its really annoying me that a lot of properties are marketed without the relevant facts displayed.

I think it should be mandatory for marketed properties to display

If they are freehold or leasehold

If leasehold, how long the lease is and the number of years remaining.

How much the service charges are

How much the ground rent is

Council tax band

A floorplan with detailed measurements

What floor the property is on

The number of ads I've seen where this basic information isn't listed or they are awaiting this information is ridiculous. It just makes it easier all round if this information is displayed prominently so I can assess if it is suitable.
Page 3
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 11th May 18, 9:34 AM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Often an extra that the vendor pays for.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Really? Are there EAs who charge for floor plans these days?

There is no EA remotely close to where I am who would contemplate charging extra to provide a floor plan.
    • googler
    • By googler 11th May 18, 10:06 AM
    • 14,797 Posts
    • 9,718 Thanks
    googler
    Really? Are there EAs who charge for floor plans these days? There is no EA remotely close to where I am who would contemplate charging extra to provide a floor plan.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    There are EAs who vary the photography charge based on the size of the house, since a one-bed flat takes less time and effort than a 12-bed mansion.

There are those who have different styles of schedule available - single page, double, quadruple, with pricing to match

Floorplans are offered by some EAs as an option. Some EAs use floorplanning software to generate their own, others contract it out to third parties who charge the EA for this (the third pary is usually named in a copyright notice on the floorplan). They send the sketch away, get a finished plan in return. This is a time-saver for the EA, but chargeable by the third-party. The customer can decide for themselves if they want a floorplan or not. This is a chargeable item, so the customer can 'save' on the floorplan fee if they wish. It's standard in your service, but would you offer a discount to a seller who specifically did not want a floorplan?

I don't see it as an extra, merely as one element in menu pricing and optional services which the customer can choose to pay for or not.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th May 18, 12:26 PM
    • 16,186 Posts
    • 44,582 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

There is no EA remotely close to where I am who would contemplate charging extra to provide a floor plan.
    I don't recall any EA's in my last area charging for floor plans. They either did them or didnt do them - end of. One of the reasons I chose the EA I did was because they did do them (rather nice plans too - that decent size type, with bits of furniture, etc, dotted around to convey what the room was like).

I don't know what they would have charged for the premium service they also provided - because their standard service was actually noticeably better than other EA's provided anyway - and for a very reasonable charge (well.....comparatively speaking).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-05-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 11th May 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    badmemory
    You can't trust those reports anyway. Had to pay up front for one on my mother's house before sale. It said the house had solid floors. Any idiot stamping their foot would know that was not correct. Absolute refusal to correct it too. You're better off without these reports & paying someone who actually knows what they are doing, not someone they have put through a short course just to keep them off the unemployment numbers.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th May 18, 7:55 PM
    • 5,785 Posts
    • 15,334 Thanks
    EachPenny

However, those floorplans are often just a pretty picture emblazoned with disclaimers about how they shouldn't be relied on for anything.

The OP is seeking "A floorplan with detailed measurements". I can imagine a whole new industry being established to obtain precise measurements and convert them into an accurate plan. And then people attempting to take legal action when they discover their bedroom is 5mm shorter than the EA's plan claimed.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 11th May 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,029 Posts
    • 3,022 Thanks
    shortcrust
    What a kafkaesque land some would have us live in, judging by threads on here and the employment board.
    • troffasky
    • By troffasky 11th May 18, 10:40 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    troffasky
    Never trust what the EA tells you, always get a cheap 3 LR title and see if it is leasehold,

That is also what your paying your solicitor to do, to find any issues
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    I'd rather not pay a solicitor to find out information about a house I could have eliminated from my researches had I had more accurate information up front.

In an age of always-on, connected-everything, the archaic and excruciating English house buying process needs a kick up the !!!!.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,537Posts Today

6,896Users online

Martin's Twitter