Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 10th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 1,351Posts
    • 3,273Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Halogen spotlight and dimmer switch problem
    • 10th May 18, 12:11 PM
    Halogen spotlight and dimmer switch problem 10th May 18 at 12:11 PM
    The house we've recently bought has sunken halogen spotlights on the entire ground floor, some of which have dimmer switches, others just standard on/off switches.

The problem is most of the ones with dimmer switches buzz and flicker, some of them work okay if you turn the brightness to maximum (defeating the point of a dimmer switch), others buzz regardless of how you adjust the dimmer.

Would just replacing the dimmer switches with normal switches solve the problem?
Page 1
    • sew what
    • By sew what 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    sew what
    • 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    • 10th May 18, 10:02 PM
    The house we've recently bought has sunken halogen spotlights on the entire ground floor, some of which have dimmer switches, others just standard on/off switches.

The problem is most of the ones with dimmer switches buzz and flicker, some of them work okay if you turn the brightness to maximum (defeating the point of a dimmer switch), others buzz regardless of how you adjust the dimmer.

Would just replacing the dimmer switches with normal switches solve the problem?
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    Are the downlighters 12V or 240V? Have you still got halogen lamps in them or are they now running replacement LEDs? How many lamps (and what wattage) on each dimmer switch?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th May 18, 8:13 AM
    • 19,902 Posts
    • 46,050 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 11th May 18, 8:13 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:13 AM
    Not all bulbs are dimmable and will behave as yours do if you try to dim them, they will also do this if some of the bulbs have gone.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 11th May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 11th May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 11th May 18, 9:25 AM
    Probably, try it, switches are not expensive.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 11th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 11th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 11th May 18, 10:35 AM
    Are the downlighters 12V or 240V? Have you still got halogen lamps in them or are they now running replacement LEDs? How many lamps (and what wattage) on each dimmer switch?
    Originally posted by sew what
    12v, bulbs are MR11 GU4s. We still have halogen in all the dimmable fittings, did consider switching to LED but the only dimmable LED bulbs we could see were too low powered. There's between 4 and 8 lamps on each switch.

Not all bulbs are dimmable and will behave as yours do if you try to dim them, they will also do this if some of the bulbs have gone.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    I thought all halogen bulbs are generally okay with dimmers. There aren't any dead bulbs at present, could a bulb which is working but on it's last legs cause the same problem?

Probably, try it, switches are not expensive.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    I'm tempted, which leads me on to my next question, is replacing a dimmer switch with a standard switch as simple as swapping out one standard switch for another?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 11th May 18, 12:17 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 11th May 18, 12:17 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:17 PM
    I'm tempted, which leads me on to my next question, is replacing a dimmer switch with a standard switch as simple as swapping out one standard switch for another?
    Yes it is. If they are flash expensive switches you could always buy a cheap one to check it works first.

Turn the power off first!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

1,358Users online

Martin's Twitter