Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • wwojtek
    • By wwojtek 10th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Debt Collector Agency Returned Account to HMRC
    • #1
    • 10th May 18, 12:06 PM
    Debt Collector Agency Returned Account to HMRC 10th May 18 at 12:06 PM
    Hi there. It is first time posting in this forum although it helped me several times already. My parents have issue with the HMRC and Debt Collection agency, most of the time I must deal with them on their behalf.
    HMRC asked through PostDue Debt Collection agency to pay the outstanding tax credit. PostDue refuse to speak with me until I was added to their account as representative and this took around 1,5 months. When finally, I was able to set the payment plan for my parents they told me that account was closed and returned to HMRC.
    Iím worried that this will means enforcement action. However, I was dealing within all the deadlines provided by the PostDue.
    I canít call the HMRC as my parents are unavailable for another week and they wont answer any of my questions.
    Do any of you have idea what this could be about, and why the account was closed?
    Thank you
Page 1
    • zenshi
    • By zenshi 10th May 18, 12:26 PM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th May 18, 12:26 PM
    • #2
    • 10th May 18, 12:26 PM
    I had this last week. Hmrc took back the debt from the DCA, no reason given but payments are then set up direct with HMRC. Nothing untoward usually
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    July 18......£16,954.....6 creditors left 40% paid

    £26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £22,734
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £43,881
  • National Debtline
    • #3
    • 10th May 18, 1:29 PM
    • #3
    • 10th May 18, 1:29 PM
    Hi there and welcome to MSE,

    Are you able to clarify why you are acting for your parents? If this is a long term issue then you may want to get legal advice about Power of Attorney to help avoid issues of getting through things like Data Protection in the future.

    If this is a tax credit overpayment then the HMRC have several options to chase the debt - just because it has been passed back to HMRC doesn't mean they won't set up a payment plan - but just important be aware of the options. They may use another debt collector (like PastDue Credit), the county court (make sure you get advice if they receive any court papers), bailiffs without a court order (although you will still get notice) or a deduction from ongoing benefits or wages.

    To try and prevent action your parents will need to do a SOA to work out a payment offer and try and offer that to the HMRC and see what they say. It may help to keep communication in letters / emails going forward.

    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • wwojtek
    • By wwojtek 10th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • #4
    • 10th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • #4
    • 10th May 18, 1:52 PM
    I'm acting on their behalf as they can communicate in very basic English, not enough to go through HRMC or any other serious matter.
    It was Tax credit overpayment, and this was issued when my parents decide to not take any more benefits as their financial situation was getting better. This, however caused total of over £2000 Tax overpayment to them.
    I was just worried that they might go through enforced action when we didn!!!8217;t really had time to set up the payments due to the PastDue very strict rules if it comes to represent someone.
    Thank you I will look into Power of Attorney and consult it with parents.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,974Posts Today

5,929Users online

Martin's Twitter