Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hds187
    • By hds187 10th May 18, 11:55 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hds187
    Short term use of 0% CC to buy time
    • 10th May 18, 11:55 AM
    Short term use of 0% CC to buy time 10th May 18 at 11:55 AM
    My credit record is very good, and I nearly always clear my regualr day to day credit card. However I had an unexpected bill come in November which meant i took out a 0% transfer and 0% fee card and paid and cleared the bill after 5 months.

Just had a similar situation again annoyingly. I'd rather not take another card on the same basis, but the surplus card I took back in November is asking for 3% fee for transfer.

I know I can easily get a 0% fee and transfer card again, but will it harm my credit score/record, even if i do the same again and pay the whole balance off in 4 or 5 months?

Thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th May 18, 12:18 PM
    • 16,831 Posts
    • 17,829 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th May 18, 12:18 PM
    • 10th May 18, 12:18 PM
    Your credit file will just show that you borrowed and repaid in line with the terms of the card.

Ignore the score.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 10th May 18, 12:20 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 10th May 18, 12:20 PM
    • 10th May 18, 12:20 PM
    You don't have a credit score to harm.

However, there will be a hard search on your file from the application search, and the account added as well if accepted.

Is the card from November still offering 0% on the transfer balances?

If so I would just pay the 3% fee and do that rather than take a new card in a small space of time.

How much do you need to transfer? The new card might not give you a limit high enough to cover the full amount
    • hds187
    • By hds187 10th May 18, 3:39 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hds187
    • 10th May 18, 3:39 PM
    • 10th May 18, 3:39 PM
    could be a being a little pig headed, but out of principle i'm not paying the 3%. It's only 800 i need, so im very confident with my credit history i can get over the line and get zero fees. thanks for the reply
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 10th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 10th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 10th May 18, 3:47 PM
    If you think 24 is worth more than a search and another account on your credit file then go for it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,556Posts Today

8,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin