Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melb
    • By melb 10th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 2,594Posts
    • 959Thanks
    melb
    Question about rendering
    • 10th May 18, 11:43 AM
    Question about rendering 10th May 18 at 11:43 AM
    Hi all just had our new extension rendered with self-coloured render.

They had prepared it and put white plastic strips where it meets the brick.

I have just seen the finished product and for some reason they have stepped it out by about half an inch two thirds of the way along the length of it?

Nicely finished off with a white plastic strip down the full height of the render. is this normal? Why would anyone want a rendered wall that isn't smooth all the way?
Page 1
    • vw100
    • By vw100 10th May 18, 1:18 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    vw100
    • 10th May 18, 1:18 PM
    • 10th May 18, 1:18 PM
    Sounds like they have used K Rend over the traditional sand and cement render. Both have their respective pro's and con's.

It is perfectly normal to have that edge before the render touches the ground, it is edged with a render stop bead and can be either metal or the plastic variety. This is to stop damp and wetness climbing up the render from the ground if the render were to touch the ground. Also it allows the bricks near the ground to be aired as they are near ground level and usually get wet with rain and surface water that needs to evaporate off.

The edges or corners will also been edged with beading to provide clean straight lines for a atheistically pleasing finish, ie around windows and any corners.
    • melb
    • By melb 10th May 18, 1:31 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    melb
    • 10th May 18, 1:31 PM
    • 10th May 18, 1:31 PM
    thanks for your reply. Yes it is KRend or something very similar. I understand what you are saying about the horizontal strip of beading but what I don't understand is that on a completely flat wall they are put a strip of this beading vertically and "stepped out" the render so that it looks like some sort of design feature.

I think it looks ridiculous and was wondering if there could be any reason for it?

The wall is about6 metres long but quite a lot of it is taken with 3 tall narrow windows.
    • vw100
    • By vw100 10th May 18, 1:37 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    vw100
    • 10th May 18, 1:37 PM
    • 10th May 18, 1:37 PM
    Looks like it a design feature as you say. Could it be that the wall underneath was not totally flat so had to level out the wall and used this technique. Only the people who done the work will know.
    • melb
    • By melb 10th May 18, 1:44 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    melb
    • 10th May 18, 1:44 PM
    • 10th May 18, 1:44 PM
    Thanks I am going to speak to them tomorrow. Just wanted to have a bit of knowledge beforehand so many thanks
    • Furts
    • By Furts 10th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 2,867 Thanks
    Furts
    • 10th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 10th May 18, 2:48 PM
    Thanks I am going to speak to them tomorrow. Just wanted to have a bit of knowledge beforehand so many thanks
    Originally posted by melb
    If you can post a photo folks may be able to chip in some more info to help you. You are concerned, or unhappy, so the more feedback you have the stronger your position will be.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th May 18, 6:37 PM
    • 7,172 Posts
    • 49,851 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 10th May 18, 6:37 PM
    • 10th May 18, 6:37 PM
    A photo would help - we had some render done and the guy used stop beads which are visible all the way round and don't look great. Angle beads would have been better but it was a job to cover a bodge job as it was.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• melb
    • By melb 10th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    melb
    • 10th May 18, 9:36 PM
    sorry I don't know how to post pictures
    • road2manchester
    • By road2manchester 10th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    road2manchester
    Even if the existing building is not level, the new extension will be. I used to get smilar problems trying to floor between new and old buildings .
    • melb
    • By melb 12th May 18, 8:57 AM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    melb
    We have carried on the rendering to part of the original house which is onto 1900s brick so I'm wondering if they had to put an extra thickness of coating in this area.

Having looked at it again it's starting to look not as bad as at first but will still ask them. If they give me a reason why they had to do it that way I will be ok with that as the overall job is very good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,862Posts Today

9,600Users online

Martin's Twitter