Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 10th May 18, 10:21 AM
    • 7,990Posts
    • 13,799Thanks
    andrewf75
    fixing shed roof
    • 10th May 18, 10:21 AM
    fixing shed roof 10th May 18 at 10:21 AM
    Hi all,

My flat (slight slope) felted shed roof is leaking. Some of the timber seems to be sagging so I guess this needs to be replaced first, its only one or two planks. Question is should I re-felt it or would coroline sheets last longer? Can they be used on only a slight slope?

Cheers!
Page 1
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 10th May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 8,694 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 10th May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 10th May 18, 11:38 AM
    I know nothing about Coroline.

Have you considered EPDM?

I used it to replace a rotting felt roof.

It is about three times the price of felt but it lasts more or less for ever.

Have a look at that and compare it to Coroline.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 10th May 18, 11:39 AM
    • 7,990 Posts
    • 13,799 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 10th May 18, 11:39 AM
    • 10th May 18, 11:39 AM
    Thanks, yes that could be an option. I have an extension with it on the roof so I know the stuff.
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 10th May 18, 1:24 PM
    • 12,898 Posts
    • 11,509 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 10th May 18, 1:24 PM
    • 10th May 18, 1:24 PM
    Coroline is a begger to cut but can be done if done slowly and with some support. Have you thought of using Cromapol excellent product for repairing leaks, I even use it for various other solutions like preventing rotting on the allotment on gravel boards. You probably need to fix the sagging though. You can get 5Kg tin for around £26-£27 on ebay.

I use Coroline on my lean too attached to shed at allotment for a greenhouse. The shed roof I replaced with EPDM but had I known how good Cromapol was I would have used it on felt roof
    Last edited by savemoney; 10-05-2018 at 1:29 PM.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 10th May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 7,990 Posts
    • 13,799 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 10th May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 10th May 18, 2:16 PM
    Thanks, sounds like EPDM is the way to go. The cromapol sounds good, but would clearly only be a temporary repair
    Looks like a piece of EPDM will be around 50 quid
    • datostar
    • By datostar 10th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    datostar
    • 10th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 10th May 18, 2:21 PM
    I've seen marine ply nailed over an old saggy felted roof to provide a good base for EPDM. Sorts out unevenness and sagging too. Any damp will dry out from the inside in time.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 10th May 18, 2:33 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    • 10th May 18, 2:33 PM
    • 10th May 18, 2:33 PM
    I would highly recommend EPDM. I have it on my hand built shed. I chose a very gentle pitch so that I can maximise the interior volume. Had pent sheds in the past where the height on the sides were very low. People go for pent sheds because they look good. But an apex with the minimal-est pitch is ideal. I went for 1:6, but if I were to do it again I would have gone for 1:20 - just enough for rain to run down.

I got EPDM for very very cheap from gumtree. Excess from someone elses job. It is quite expensive to buy brand new.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 10th May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 7,990 Posts
    • 13,799 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 10th May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 10th May 18, 2:39 PM
    I've seen marine ply nailed over an old saggy felted roof to provide a good base for EPDM. Sorts out unevenness and sagging too. Any damp will dry out from the inside in time.
    Originally posted by datostar
    does it need a plywood base? or can I glue it to the existing roof battens (after replacing the rotten ones)?
    • datostar
    • By datostar 10th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    datostar
    • 10th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:03 PM
    does it need a plywood base? or can I glue it to the existing roof battens (after replacing the rotten ones)?
    Originally posted by andrewf75
    A plywood base would be the ideal, but given EPDM's longevity and intrinsic waterproof nature you should be able to get away with the cheaper chipboard type boards instead. I'm visualising your roof battens as something like a house loft without flooring, i.e. sticking up at intervals. I think you'd be better with some kind of continuous surface for the EPDM.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 10th May 18, 4:09 PM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 2,032 Thanks
    EssexExile
    I used 9mm OSB (sterling board) about 10 years ago & the roof is still as good as new.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 10th May 18, 4:18 PM
    • 7,990 Posts
    • 13,799 Thanks
    andrewf75
    A plywood base would be the ideal, but given EPDM's longevity and intrinsic waterproof nature you should be able to get away with the cheaper chipboard type boards instead. I'm visualising your roof battens as something like a house loft without flooring, i.e. sticking up at intervals. I think you'd be better with some kind of continuous surface for the EPDM.
    Originally posted by datostar
    it is roughly 10cm wide boards fitted against each other - so separate pieces but it is a continous surface if you see what I mean! Maybe should have taken some pics first
    Most of it is in good nick just need to replace one or two where the water has pooled and leaked in through the felt.
    Last edited by andrewf75; 10-05-2018 at 4:23 PM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th May 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I used 9mm OSB (sterling board) about 10 years ago & the roof is still as good as new.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Me too.....
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 10th May 18, 6:55 PM
    • 2,901 Posts
    • 3,255 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    How does a homeowner attach edpm to a shed roof board? Nails?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Itís glued down.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 10th May 18, 7:38 PM
    • 2,901 Posts
    • 3,255 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Thanks. What about the edges? I need to do mine and keen to get edpm AND lay some arti turf on top of that!
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th May 18, 7:41 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Thanks. What about the edges? I need to do mine and keen to get edpm AND lay some arti turf on top of that!
    You can either use their edging system or do it the traditional way. I chose the latter.
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 10th May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 12,898 Posts
    • 11,509 Thanks
    savemoney
    I bought my EPDM in a kit 10x6 shed. The roof is made of tongue and groove. You use the glue supplied and spray it on and let it set a little you have to make sure the epdm covers area. I did shed it two goes one half and then the other, then cut excess off with scissors or sharp knife. I have lots of flat roofs at home and epdm has been on two of them over 10 years with no damage and I walk on roof a couple of times a year for house maintenance like painting, cleaning window sills
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 10th May 18, 10:26 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 8,694 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Don't use nails on the sloping roof section as that will create potential leaks. Glue is all that you use there. The EPDM sheet is flexible and heavy and will naturally settle on the roof. It just needs glue to keep it in place.

I fixed EPDM to my shed roof using the glue supplied with the EPDM sheet. I applied and spread the glue with a large paintbrush and didn't spray it on as someone posted above. Maybe there is a sprayable glue available.

I did use clout nails to secure the edges of the EPDM to the vertical fascia where the roof meets the shed sides. I folded the edge back on itself to form a double layer and used the clout nails to secure it in place.

You should get detailed instructions with the sheet, If not, just google. It is an easy and straightforward job.

The best time to fit EPDM is a warm and sunny day. Lay the sheet out in the sun in the garden or on top of the shed for a while so that it warms up and is at its most flexible.
    Last edited by Head The Ball; 10-05-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 11th May 18, 12:35 PM
    • 12,898 Posts
    • 11,509 Thanks
    savemoney
    Yes mine was spray able came with two cans

I fixed EPDM to my shed roof using the glue supplied with the EPDM sheet. I applied and spread the glue with a large paintbrush and didn't spray it on as someone posted above. Maybe there is a sprayable glue available.
    Originally posted by Head The Ball
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 11th May 18, 12:47 PM
    • 7,990 Posts
    • 13,799 Thanks
    andrewf75
    These EPDM kits look great, thanks all. Obviously not cheap, but will be worth it to not have to re-do every few years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,546Posts Today

8,559Users online

Martin's Twitter