Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 10th May 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,125Posts
    • 21,355Thanks
    csarina2
    Mobile phone problem
    • 10th May 18, 10:03 AM
    Mobile phone problem 10th May 18 at 10:03 AM
    We have a phone registered to T Mobile PAYG which is carried by my husband to help in an emergency. I have tried in vain to top up the phone, EE have not been helpful at all. Can I buy a PAYG simcard thats not on T Mobile, or am I going to have to buy a new phone on a different net work?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 33,332 Posts
    • 39,329 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 10th May 18, 10:09 AM
    Needs a request to T Mobile/EE for an unlock code for the phone

Then you can put any sim card in it

There's a chance it was supplied unlocked , try it with another network SIM card , you can pick one up for 99p from any supermarket
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 11th May 18, 3:06 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    robin58
    • 11th May 18, 3:06 AM
    • 11th May 18, 3:06 AM
    Virgin or Plusnet sims will work even if it's not unlocked . They use the T-Mobile/EE network as a virtual network providers basically they buy network access from EE.

These sims work straight off after putting in a EE locked phone. I did this with both the above sims.

Then you may not have to pay T-Mobile for the unlock code, which I think costs about 8.99.

I don't know if the Virgin or Plusnet do PAYG packages.

As for other PAYG sims, the only one I know of is the 3 (Three) network 1-2-3 sim, which will not work if the phone is locked unless you get the unlock code.

I feel your pain with EE. I hate thier company with a passion. I had a complaint with them. I was sent on a world tour of thier customer service centres starting in India, then South Africa and finally Scotland to sort it out.

But I can't knock the actual network infrastructure. It's very good.
    Last edited by robin58; 11-05-2018 at 3:35 AM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • cranford
    • By cranford 11th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    cranford
    • 11th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 11th May 18, 8:42 AM
    ASDA mobile also use the EE network. You could try a sim from https://mobile.asda.com/bundles
    They say next day delivery and it come with a trial allowance which has to be used withing 30 day and then you need to top up. So you could get one to see if it works first for free. But like most pay and go if you don't send a text/make a call every 180 days the sim gets cancelled and you loose your balance.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 11th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 11th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 11th May 18, 2:21 PM
    You can always get the phones unlocked at the local independent phone stall/shop for around 10. Takes them minutes.
    Using a Tesco or similar sim is probably the best solution in your case and won't cost anything.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

300Posts Today

3,359Users online

Martin's Twitter