Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joolsman
    • By Joolsman 10th May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Joolsman
    UKPC windscreen ticket with disabled blue badge
    • 10th May 18, 8:48 AM
    UKPC windscreen ticket with disabled blue badge 10th May 18 at 8:48 AM
    Morning,

I'm writing on behalf of a driver who has a disability and a blue badge. In January '18, the driver parked in a blue badge space in a West London hospital carpark as the driver had an appointment. The driver bought a parking ticket and displayed it in the window. The driver also displayed a blue badge, but unfortunately it slipped off the dashboard and fell to the floor. The full badge with timer was still on show, but on the floor. The driver got a parking ticket from UKPC.

I have followed all the great advice, contacting PALS at the hospital asking if they would intervene and cancel the ticket. They declined. I waited the recommended number of days and contacted UKPC using the template letter. They refused to cancel the ticket but have offered 'as a gesture of goodwill due to having a valid blue badge, a reduced fee of 15'. They also gave a POPLA code.

My question is please, should the driver pay the 15 or should I complain to POPLA on the driver's behalf. I'm very happy to do this. However, I'm unsure of our odds of winning at POPLA.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

J
    Last edited by Joolsman; 10-05-2018 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Add date
Page 1
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 10th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 2,252 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 10th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:29 AM
    what was the date of the incident , and when you appealed , did you admit the drivers name , as in "I did this I did that"

or did you take advice and say "the driver did
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Joolsman
    • By Joolsman 10th May 18, 9:31 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Joolsman
    • 10th May 18, 9:31 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:31 AM
    Thanks for your reply.
    The date of the incident was January 2018, it's taken them this long to reply.
    I wrote a letter using the advice of naming only 'the driver'.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 10th May 18, 9:43 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 10th May 18, 9:43 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:43 AM
    I wrote a letter using the advice of naming only 'the driver'.
    Originally posted by Joolsman
    Do you mean you said "the driver did this, that and the other" OR did you actually name the driver?
    • Joolsman
    • By Joolsman 10th May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Joolsman
    • 10th May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:51 AM
    Sorry.....I wrote 'the driver did this', 'the driver did that'. I did not name him.
    He is not the registered owner of the vehicle but UKPC must have applied to the DVLA as they have now the name of the owner.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 10th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 10th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:52 AM
    ...... DVLA as they have now the name of the owner.
    Well, I guess they have the registered keeper's name.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 10th May 18, 10:02 AM
    @OP

You know not to reveal who was driving

You need to edit your op to remove details of who was driving

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
    • Joolsman
    • By Joolsman 10th May 18, 10:07 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Joolsman
    • 10th May 18, 10:07 AM
    • 10th May 18, 10:07 AM
    @OP

You know not to reveal who was driving

You need to edit your op to remove details of who was driving

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Thanks, have done so in the post.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th May 18, 10:11 AM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th May 18, 10:11 AM
    • 10th May 18, 10:11 AM
    Sorry.....I wrote 'the driver did this', 'the driver did that'. I did not name him.
    He is not the registered owner of the vehicle but UKPC must have applied to the DVLA as they have now the name of the owner.
    They have the keeper's name.

You should advise the keeper that in all correspondence he should never reveal the driver.
    • Joolsman
    • By Joolsman 10th May 18, 10:23 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Joolsman
    They have the keeper's name.

You should advise the keeper that in all correspondence he should never reveal the driver.
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Thank you, yes have done that.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 10th May 18, 11:02 AM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 6,071 Thanks
    Half_way
    When you said the hospital declined, what did you say to then , and what did they reply with?
    are you familiar with the NHS parking principles for staff, patients and visitors?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Joolsman
    • By Joolsman 10th May 18, 11:11 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Joolsman
    Thanks for your reply.
    I emailed PALS at the hospital stating exactly what happened. They replied that it was out of their hands and that they were unable to help to any way. I would need to contact UKPC.
    I am unfamiliar with the NHS principles.
    Last edited by Joolsman; 10-05-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th May 18, 11:22 AM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    Familiarise yourself then!

Google is a good way to do it!
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 10th May 18, 11:44 AM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 2,252 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    Thanks for your reply.
    I emailed the hospital stating exactly what happened. They replied that it was out of their hands and that they were unable to help to any way. I would need to contact UKPC.
    perhaps "mandy" on reception is not up on the situation

do you have a "PAL"

google hospitals P.A.L.S
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 10th May 18, 11:48 AM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 6,071 Thanks
    Half_way
    Normally I would be able to post a link to the NHS parking principles, but as in out and about in the sunny westmidlands with a wonky car tyre, it's not so easy.
    Google NHS parking principles for more info.
    before you make contact with the hospital, post here what you intend to say first
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Joolsman
    • By Joolsman 10th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Joolsman
    perhaps "mandy" on reception is not up on the situation

do you have a "PAL"

google hospitals P.A.L.S
    Originally posted by twhitehousescat
    Thank you. Yes, this was whom I contacted at the hospital. They were unable to do anything to help they said.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 10th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 19,287 Posts
    • 24,528 Thanks
    Redx
    Thank you. Yes, this was whom I contacted at the hospital. They were unable to do anything to help they said.

contact them again and point them at these principles

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

tell them they have a duty and they cannot just wash their hands of it, their duty is to follow the NHS guidelines and if they fob you off again you will be reporting them to your local MP and asking said MP to copy in Jeremy Hunt, their boss. ask them to name the person the two mp`s will need to write to about this matter , also ask why they are ignoring the principles laid down by their ruling body some 2 or 3 years ago

complain, dont be fobbed off, escalate and keep complaining
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th May 18, 2:31 PM
    • 9,298 Posts
    • 9,577 Thanks
    KeithP
    This is the document that Half_way refers to:

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,483Posts Today

7,490Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watch and all will be explained. It's about early prep not early celebration. To take the stress out of pre-chris? https://t.co/epBrfX8tli

• Just got on the train to Liverpool, as we're there for tonight's @itvMLshow live Christmas special (8pm ITV). Had? https://t.co/xLxH5N6GL2

• RT @CareQualityComm: While Martin's methodology is different to ours, and the rating terminology, it's interesting that the poll findings t?

• Follow Martin