Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 10th May 18, 8:02 AM
    • 5,024Posts
    • 17,075Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    how to have an eco-friendly death
    • 10th May 18, 8:02 AM
    how to have an eco-friendly death 10th May 18 at 8:02 AM
    The funeral industry is catering for the growing number of people who want to deal with their mortal remains in an environmentally sound way.
    Growing numbers of people who spend their lives recycling their plastics and watching their air miles are wondering about the most environmentally sound way to deal with their mortal remains. Now, help is at hand from a funeral industry increasingly tuned in to the varied and exotic last wishes of the “consumer”.
    Sorry that it's from the Grunard but it came through on my feed this morning and I though it might interest some of you cheery folk

link
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 78.2
    Total so far - 3564.6
Page 1
    • Flick216
    • By Flick216 10th May 18, 8:44 AM
    • 8,440 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Flick216
    • 10th May 18, 8:44 AM
    • 10th May 18, 8:44 AM
    Sorry that it's from the Grunard but it came through on my feed this morning and I though it might interest some of you cheery folk

link
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Well actually this is something I was discussing over the weekend! I think it's important to let your loved ones know these things - whatever age you are.

I will be looking into the tree thing.
    ENFP - Assertive
    Officially in a clique of idiots

Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 39,838 Posts
    • 146,809 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 10th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 10th May 18, 10:54 AM
    Oh goodness! That's been available for years and years!

Can't remember when, but a long time ago I bought a woodland burial site. At the time, the price was much cheaper than a normal burial, and was even cheaper than a cremation.
    The price includes a biodegradable (cardboard wood/look) coffin, and two green cars, and a small name plaque (like a tree-name plaque), plus your choice of tree.

You're not allowed to be embalmed, as the chemicals could kill the trees.

A couple of years ago I popped in to see how it was getting on and the whole thing was maturing nicely!
    Lots of lovely compost!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 10th May 18, 1:33 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 27,889 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 10th May 18, 1:33 PM
    • 10th May 18, 1:33 PM
    I do remember reading that the pollution generated by the guests driving to a funeral far exceeds any pollution arising from the cremation itself.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 10th May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    Izadora
    • 10th May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 10th May 18, 2:02 PM
    If I outlive my brother and my husband then I'd like an eco funeral.
    If I don't then I want to be cremated and turned into diamond earrings, they will then have to wear me
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 10th May 18, 2:19 PM
    • 8,293 Posts
    • 12,637 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 10th May 18, 2:19 PM
    • 10th May 18, 2:19 PM
    I do remember reading that the pollution generated by the guests driving to a funeral far exceeds any pollution arising from the cremation itself.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    That's alright, I don't expect there'll be many guests at mine

Another one here planning a woodland burial at the local green cemetery, with either an untreated willow or cardboard coffin (my daughter can choose whichever she prefers).

I have no intention of polluting the atmosphere by being cremated and the whole 'funeral service' thing makes me shudder. No music, no expensive flower arrangements (why does the word 'funeral', like 'wedding', mean a multiple of the regular price can be charged for something?)
    If someone wants to say a few words (I expect something along the lines of 'Finally the miserable old battleaxe won't be bothering us anymore ) that's up to them, I won't be there to hear it!
    Last edited by jackieblack; 10-05-2018 at 2:24 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 39,838 Posts
    • 146,809 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 10th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:19 PM
    I don't actually want anyone at my funeral. I just want to be popped in the hole in the ground and that's that.

I certainly don't want a load of people there whom I haven't seen or heard from for ages, thank you very much!

I hate it when people who haven't made any effort to see the deceased in a long time manage to find the time to attend their funeral. Grrrr!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 10th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 12,999 Posts
    • 24,070 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 10th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:50 PM
    My mother always says that it's better to give her flowers when she's alive and can enjoy them than when she's dead and can't.

I don't always agree with her, but on this occasion I believe that she's correct.

For my funeral - don't care but often joke that I'd like a band to march in front of and have a troupe of dancing girls behind the horse drawn cortege ... Oh, and a shiny coin in each eye please
    Last edited by Sleazy; 10-05-2018 at 7:53 PM.
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 39,838 Posts
    • 146,809 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 10th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 10th May 18, 7:52 PM
    My mother always says that it's better to give her flowers when she's alive and can enjoy them than when she's dead and can't.

I don't always agree with her, but on this occasion I believe that she's correct.
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Exactly!

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• tommix
    • By tommix 10th May 18, 8:03 PM
    • 37,616 Posts
    • 147,820 Thanks
    tommix
    Not keen on the Idea of an eco -buriel..A cardboard box and a Tree doesn't realy cut the mustard.

I'm going for the full egyptian..Sarcophagus and a Pyramid.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 10th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 4,515 Posts
    • 14,775 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    They can just cremate me, I don't want any fuss at all.
    (Although Sleazy's marching band and dancing girls has a certain appeal!)
    At least that way they won't be digging my bones up in a couple of hundred years to make room for a new dimensional displacement facility or some such.
    • MPD
    • By MPD 10th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    MPD
    Just dump my body somewhere it will join the food chain, maybe drop it off a container ship halfway across an ocean.
    After years of disappointment with get-rich-quick schemes, I know I'm gonna get rich with this scheme...and quick! - Homer Simpson
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th May 18, 8:49 PM
    • 39,838 Posts
    • 146,809 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Not keen on the Idea of an eco -buriel..A cardboard box and a Tree doesn't realy cut the mustard.

I'm going for the full egyptian..Sarcophagus and a Pyramid.
    Originally posted by tommix
    What, no lifesize statue of Tony?

Just dump my body somewhere it will join the food chain, maybe drop it off a container ship halfway across an ocean.
    Originally posted by MPD
    Or the local landfill?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 10th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 8,238 Posts
    • 13,000 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    I don't want any fuss when I go. I won't be there as such to enjoy or appreciate it anyway. I'm looking in to an eco burial.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 11th May 18, 11:27 AM
    • 5,024 Posts
    • 17,075 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I've often thought that I'd like to have an 'open door' party somewhere while still alive to give me a good send off with me as the bouncer so that I could only let in those that had done me a good turn during my lifetime

It would be a very quiet party inside but a great time would be had by all those that didn't get in
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 78.2
    Total so far - 3564.6
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 11th May 18, 2:54 PM
    • 11,405 Posts
    • 30,591 Thanks
    suki1964
    Im opting for direct cremation

Sent down to Belfast in a body bag and they can post the ashes back to be scattered up here or it thats not allowed they can just scatter me in the rose garden there
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th May 18, 3:46 PM
    • 8,331 Posts
    • 26,152 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    My lot have been told to go as short as they can on dealing with the body but spend every tuppence spare on the tamasha celebrating the life.

I want to think my death has caused the size & scale of party that results in weddings.
    I also like the idea of a resulting photobook of family there present (with all their names & dates of birth) - indeed several copies thereof - for the benefit of future family historians.
    (As a companion volume to my wedding album where I was an awkward so & so requiring every face visible to have a name.)

Sadly all far too unlikely - my lads are not wildly social animals & rounding up extraneous relatives for the spiritual comfort? I'll be lucky if I get a grave marker.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 13th May 18, 11:18 PM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 20,873 Thanks
    JIL
    I hadn't realised that with the eco burial, the body can be wrapped in a shroud. The burial is also much shallower, thus ensuring that decomposition takes place relatively quickly, apparently the deeper the burial the longer it takes.
    Having just been to a humanitarian funeral I found the whole service so much better than a church service. It was very focused on the individual and what they had done during their life and the legacy they had left. Very very moving.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th May 18, 8:36 AM
    • 12,999 Posts
    • 24,070 Thanks
    Sleazy
    On a nice warm and sunny day, I take a walk in the forest.
    Due to tiredness, I fall asleep in a leafy glade.
    I die peacefully in my sleep, and lie undisturbed for years as the leaves cover me.
    Finally, my fleshly body is no more and any future life prospects are decided by God.

Failing that (the forest bit), and on the basis that I do die one day unless God decrees otherwise - as peacefully as possible please and with as little fuss as possible. My earlier post about a horse drawn cortege, marching band and dancing girls was an attempt at humour.

I would, however, still like shiny coins placed over my eyes.
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th May 18, 3:14 PM
    • 7,573 Posts
    • 6,320 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    I want this tattood on my rs

Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,211Posts Today

8,738Users online

Martin's Twitter