Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Loneapostrophe
    • By Loneapostrophe 10th May 18, 7:38 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Loneapostrophe
    Advice please: Can we view other properties, if our ongoing purchase looks likely to fall through?
    • 10th May 18, 7:38 AM
    Advice please: Can we view other properties, if our ongoing purchase looks likely to fall through? 10th May 18 at 7:38 AM
    Hello,
    First time posting, but I'm looking for some advice.

My wife and I have purchased a domestic property, subject to structural survey. We are first time buyers.
    Our full survey showed that work was needed, rather urgently, to the tune of at least 15,000.

We were advised, therefore, to reduce our offer to reflect this, which we have. We have been informed that the house has been on the market for 18 months, with a rather difficult selling history, due to structural repairs.

The estate agent handling the purchase, who has not been particularly active in her communication, told us that the buyer was unlikely to even consider the reduced offer, but that she would speak to the vendor.

Having not heard back, my wife contacted the agents, to discuss whether we could potentially view other properties, as it looked likely that the sale may fall through.
    The "sales manager" she spoke to shouted her down, rather aggressively telling her that it was "simply not on," stating: "I'm not sure if you know, but it's not like buying a bag of sweets."

Surely he should have explained the etiquette of the process to my wife, if we were acting out of step?

Are we free to view other properties?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Page 1
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 10th May 18, 7:39 AM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 6,120 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 10th May 18, 7:39 AM
    • 10th May 18, 7:39 AM
    Of course you are free to view other properties, why wouldn't you be?

.....oh and never forget the estate agent works for the vendor, he/she does not have any interest in helping you other than getting as much money as possible out of your pocket.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Loneapostrophe
    • By Loneapostrophe 10th May 18, 7:40 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Loneapostrophe
    • 10th May 18, 7:40 AM
    • 10th May 18, 7:40 AM
    This is exactly what we thought, but from the agent's angered response, we felt that we may have overlooked something, as inexperienced buyers. Thanks!
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th May 18, 7:51 AM
    • 9,513 Posts
    • 14,641 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 10th May 18, 7:51 AM
    • 10th May 18, 7:51 AM
    This is exactly what we thought, but from the agent's angered response, we felt that we may have overlooked something, as inexperienced buyers. Thanks!
    Originally posted by Loneapostrophe
    Tell her to jog on if she speaks to you like that again. You can look at as many houses as you like whenever you like. Well done for reducing your offer to match the work needed, stick to your guns.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th May 18, 7:56 AM
    • 64,243 Posts
    • 377,077 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 10th May 18, 7:56 AM
    • 10th May 18, 7:56 AM
    What an angry little nasty man. He shouldn't care WHICH house you buy from him, so long as he sells "A" house to you and the firm get the commission.

It's perfectly reasonable, when it looks like you won't be buying the house you're currently pursuing, to do viewings of other properties. Sometimes one might do this clandestinely, with other agents - at other times with the same agent to "put a foot up their jacksy that they might lose the sale if they can't chivvy it along a bit".....

The agent's response was poor customer service, bullying and just nasty.

View away ..... it's YOUR money .... you've given it your best shot and the transaction appears to have stalled, so it's YOUR interests you need to consider.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 10th May 18, 7:57 AM
    • 10,599 Posts
    • 12,135 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 10th May 18, 7:57 AM
    • 10th May 18, 7:57 AM
    Goodness me what a horrible nasty EA.

Get on and look at what you want.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th May 18, 9:32 AM
    • 8,517 Posts
    • 8,975 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th May 18, 9:32 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:32 AM
    ...but bear in mind that other sellers might not take you too seriously while you've still got another iron in the fire.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th May 18, 10:10 AM
    • 10,883 Posts
    • 14,337 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 10th May 18, 10:10 AM
    • 10th May 18, 10:10 AM
    ...but bear in mind that other sellers might not take you too seriously while you've still got another iron in the fire.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    How would they know?

If I was directly asked the question, I wouldn't lie, but would give a vague 'We did have an offer on something, but it looks like it's falling through and we're really keen to buy so are willing to start again.'
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 10th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 3,218 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 10th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 10th May 18, 10:30 AM
    I've got a different view to most on this. It's obviously fine to view other properties, but I think it's daft to tell the vendor's EA or to expect them to be happy about it. You feel the sale might fall through, but it hasn't yet. If I were the vendor I'd be furious if I found out my EA was showing my buyer other properties after I'd accepted an offer and taken my house off the market. I'd change EAs and I'd put the house back on.

hazyjo - What's a year of gin?!

Edit to add: Oo lovely!
    Last edited by shortcrust; 10-05-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 10,883 Posts
    • 14,337 Thanks
    hazyjo

Originally posted by shortcrust
    [Sorry for the brief loss of thread...

Not what I'd call a year's worth - but am still VERY grateful for it! A 70cl bottle and other goodies every 2 months (this month was a 40 bottle of gin, a Bloody Mary type tomato juice, 2 flavoured small bottles of tonic, pretzel bites, Baileys chocolates and a gin magazine )]
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 10th May 18, 12:32 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    PhilE
    Another example of EA's acting like idiots.

Its up to you whether you look at other properties or not. Don't let some little fool shout out your wife like that.

Write to the manager that and tell him that you are disgusted with the aggressive, unprofessional manner of his sales team. Or say more if you feel inclined, I certainly have in similar situations with EA's. Never tolerate bully EA's.

Give the vendor a reasonable bit of time to respond to your offer, but always keep your eye on other options until contracts have been exchanged, even if the process seems smooth. If after sometime you haven't heard from the vendor, simply inform them via the EA that you will be viewing other properties, they can let you know if they come to a decision.
    • LuSiVe
    • By LuSiVe 10th May 18, 1:01 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    LuSiVe
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    FYI shortcrust: https://www.craftginclub.co.uk/
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th May 18, 1:22 PM
    • 26,138 Posts
    • 94,872 Thanks
    Davesnave
    What a strange response! He was rude, of course, but people in customer service roles rarely behave like that, whatever they think. Chances are, he's sick of the vendor and frustrated at having marketed for 18 months without seeing a result, perhaps putting sensible offers forward before, only to have them rejected out of hand.

So to return to your post, as you and your wife haven't purchased the property, this might be exactly the time to get viewing plenty of alternatives.

If the house hasn't sold in 1 1/2 years due to structural repairs, which I presume are still due, it's likely that the work has put off others, including some who are well-experienced.

The grumpy manager may have helped you dodge a bullet.
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,191Posts Today

7,849Users online

Martin's Twitter