Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SST8
    • By SST8 10th May 18, 7:25 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SST8
    Pre-emption (first refusal) clause removal
    • 10th May 18, 7:25 AM
    Pre-emption (first refusal) clause removal 10th May 18 at 7:25 AM
    Hello,

Iím sorry if Iíve posted this in the wrong place, Iím new to all this.

We saw a property in January that we loved and put in an offer around the 27th. Fast forward to now and we are no closer to closing the deal. Turns out the property used to be shared ownership (now 100% staircases) and there is a first right of refusal (pre-emption) clause in the lease our lender doesnít like (quite understandably).

We managed to get a waiver letter from the freeholder but the lender still isnít happy and wants the clause removed/lease varied before they proceed with the mortgage.

No-one we are working with can seem to give us a straight answer to this so Iím asking here in case anyone can help - how long does it take for a pre-emption deed of variation to be put in place? Someone at the freeholder said it can take 3-4 months as a minimum but he didnít work in the team that actually does it. It is now coming up to four months since our offer was accepted and weíre not sure we want to wait another four months for this to complete! Weíre living with family at the moment and have a 3-4hr round trip commuting to and from work, and the idea of doing that for another 3-4 months makes us feel ill!

Any suggestions/advice/help will be very welcome. Weíre desperate!!
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 10th May 18, 8:01 AM
    • 6,346 Posts
    • 6,212 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 10th May 18, 8:01 AM
    • 10th May 18, 8:01 AM
    Varying the lease will be at the freeholder's discretion.

If they wanted, they could do it immediately, or in 4 moths time, or never.

I guess the delay is because the freeholder can't decide whether they want to do it or not.

Realistically, it sounds like there's no benefit to the freeholder in doing the variation - in fact, it's detrimental to them. So the only reason they would do it is as a 'goodwill gesture' or favour.

Perhaps the best plan is to put pressure on the seller, saying that unless they can persuade their freeholder to cooperate, you will start looking at other properties.
    • SST8
    • By SST8 10th May 18, 6:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SST8
    • 10th May 18, 6:25 PM
    • 10th May 18, 6:25 PM
    Thanks @eddddy - I should have mentioned that the seller said they!!!8217;ve agreed to do it, but I was just wondering how long it can take as no one seems to know or able to find out.

We!!!8217;ve told the estate agent that if we don!!!8217;t have a firm reply by Monday we!!!8217;re pulling out of the sale and have already started looking at other properties.

Fingers crossed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,285Posts Today

5,882Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin